Yeast Bite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
Just sampled the porter I brewed up a little while back, and it has a strong yeast flavor. I let it settle in the fridge for two days before sampling, so I'm curious what might be causing this flavor. Surprised too because I used Wyeast 1056 which is supposed to have a fairly clean profile. Perhaps I just have to let it sit for a while, but I thought I'd throw it out there for input. Here's my recipe:

(2.5 Gallon Batch)
3# Light Pils DME
1/3# Chocolate
1/4# Crystal 80
1/4# Carapils
1/8# Belgian Black
3/4 oz Cascade Whole Leaf (FWH)
Wyeast 1056 (washed, 1/2 quart starter)

Steep grains 30 min at 152. Fermented at 63-65. FG 1.018. Primary 4 weeks. Has been in bottles 2 weeks.

So, I think I'll have a pretty tasty beer if I can cut down on the yeastiness. Its pretty fruity, and I thought I wouldn't have any problem with that if I kept the fermentation a bit cooler. I have no problem letting it sit a while longer. If I do, should I leave them at room temp (65) or put them in the basement (55) to help drop out the yeast?

So, I moved the bottles into the basement (55 degrees), and took another sample yesterday. Again, I let it sit in the fridge a few days to help the yeast settle. The aroma was overwhelmingly fruity yeast. So much that it blocks out most of the roasted grain flavors.

Possible causes?
- Yeast was washed from a batch of pale ale that I brewed a couple months back. Maybe dormant/stressed from sitting in the fridge for so long.
- I only made a 1/2 quart starter.
- Infection?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Two weeks in the bottle is not enough time. The yeast is probably still working on the priming sugar.
Wait at least two more weeks, and even better, a month. It will taste much better.

it has now been 3 weeks in bottle. it has plenty of carbonation but its definitely possible that the yeast is still working. i'm willing to let it sit. i was just surprised that the yeast character was so strong. wasn't the case the last time i used this strain. i'll bring it up from the basement. thanks for the advice.

I've ruined batches of dark brew with that over-fruity character before---and it was from, get this, washed/harvested yeast. What were your fermentation temps???

Try leaving the bottles cold for more than two days. I don't think 2 days is quite enough to cold crash the yeast out. I mean, I cold crash my secondary for this purpose for at least a week.

I've ruined batches of dark brew with that over-fruity character before---and it was from, get this, washed/harvested yeast. What were your fermentation temps???

Interesting. I fermented at around 64 and kept it fairly steady.

Papazian says that yeast bite can come from overpitching. Did you make a massive 1056 starter?

I actually thought I may have made too small a starter - only half quart.

I'll give them another or two week or so at room temp. Then, I'll toss one in the fridge for a good week and see what happens. If there's no change by then, I'll put them in the basement and try to forget about them for a month.

Thanks for all the input. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Latest posts

Back