I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of pie is on the menu tonight Reinstone?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A stone baked cheese frozen pizza that I added lots of pepperoni to! Should be pretty good. I'll put a little Italian dressing on it....better than ranch, for my diet ya know!

Shiat....or schist, the rock. I ran out of propane to heat my garage. Damn can use electric heat. My breakers will trip. Got a lot plugged in in my garage 3 deep freezers- heating and a fridge and a tv. Darn.

A stone baked cheese frozen pizza that I added lots of pepperoni to! Should be pretty good. I'll put a little Italian dressing on it....better than ranch, for my diet ya know!

Sounds tasty! Doesn't pepperoni make every pizza better?

basically the child get a block of balsa wood, four wheels, four nails (axles). The car has to be a certain weight and length. The goal is to have the kids be creative and teach them to use tools.

That's cool. Kids don't get enough of that nowadays. I think homebrewers should be good parents cause they like to experiment do things old fashioned.....make their own, it's a lost quality in much of our society, the hard way......but the best way.

Made some 'za dough tonight for some pies tomorrow. Sweet Italian elk sausage, onion, and mushroom on one. Not sure on the other.

Mushroom and onion should not need be mentioned. The sausage sounds interesting though. I skinned and browned some pork links from last years pig for our last batch...best pizza meat yet.

I need to keep working on the sauce. I did my best last time and it was still not up to my standards.

If you have to bake in your oven, does anyone use parchment paper? Last time, we rolled the dough on parchment, prebaked it a bit on the parchment, topped it, back in the oven still on the parchment then out, sliced and slid off the parchment right onto the plate. I was impressed with myself for that idea. 500 degree oven with a stone btw.

Mushroom and onion should not need be mentioned. The sausage sounds interesting though. I skinned and browned some pork links from last years pig for our last batch...best pizza meat yet.

I need to keep working on the sauce. I did my best last time and it was still not up to my standards.

If you have to bake in your oven, does anyone use parchment paper? Last time, we rolled the dough on parchment, prebaked it a bit on the parchment, topped it, back in the oven still on the parchment then out, sliced and slid off the parchment right onto the plate. I was impressed with myself for that idea. 500 degree oven with a stone btw.

Very good ideas. Eating and calling it a night. Hope to talk with you guys tomorrow....same time same place. Cheers, Prost and good night!

(Semi spoiler alert). Don't use the Cragle!!

I do not know the Cragle. I feel I should but don't.

basically the child gets a block of balsa wood, four wheels, four nails (axles). The car has to be a certain weight and length. The goal is to have the kids be creative and teach them to use tools.

Very nice description. My kids have certainly learned some things from the experience. The wood is "pine" though. Hence "Pinewood Derby". Balsa is for lightweights;)

That's cool. Kids don't get enough of that nowadays. I think homebrewers should be good parents cause they like to experiment do things old fashioned.....make their own, it's a lost quality in much of our society, the hard way......but the best way.

Scouting in general is good for that. Can you tie a bowline or start a fire without a match or lighter or flamethrower or such?

Had some skin cancer removed from my face today. Ouch. A hat is in my future.

Hope you heal up fine LRB. That's kind of scary. I have a mole on my left temple that is starting to worry me and another strange looking cross on my left calf. I hate going to the doctor but I think your post encouraged me to go get it checked. When I was going through the out-processing physicals from the Navy a dermatologist told me I had a few spots on my ears and face that might be pre-cancerous. Too much fun in the sun I guess.

Hello friends!

I hope you're all well.

LRB, I hope everything went well with the procedure. My mom recently had to do the same thing. It healed up really quick, and you can't tell it ever happened.

I wanted to take a moment to do a shout out to our good friend Dan. I received a really awesome gift in the mail from him today. It's a book about bread baking, and I'm very excited to dive into it and get inspiration and knowledge about bread making. I've had a sourdough starter going for a few days now. It's just starting to develop some bubbles and a pleasant sour smell. I look forward to using it for the recipes in the book!

Thanks again Dan. You're one hell of a great guy, and a very generous friend! This book will be treasured and well used!

Mike, you're too kind. You sent me some great beer and cider and I just thought it would be nice to return the favor. I truly believe you will enjoy the book. Great recipes and great stories. :mug:

Here's to a quick recovery and your future good health:mug:

Dan is a great guy. He is there when I need a little encouragement. He shares his troubles openly which, for me, helps me to realize that I am not alone. He would give the shirt off his back for a friend and certainly the book off his shelf. Let us all raise one to our good friend Dan. :mug:

Thank you for the kind words Ischiavo. You're making me blush. :eek: Some may look at this place as just the internet but I think I've been blessed to make some good friends here. :mug: my brother!

basically the child gets a block of balsa wood, four wheels, four nails (axles). The car has to be a certain weight and length. The goal is to have the kids be creative and teach them to use tools.

If you go this way prepare your child to lose. This is really about what dad can build, you hope the kids learn something but they probably won't absorb it all.

Dan, I've really been enjoying the stories in the book. I'm at the point where he discusses yeast now. I'm getting excited to try some of his techniques and recipes.

I did the soap box derby thing when I was a kid. I never won, but I had fun making the cars. We also had push-mobile races when I was in the scouts. Never won that either..

I guess I'm in the lazy camp when it comes to cleaning my kegs. I rarely ever scrub the insides of them. I usually do a very long, hot soak with Oxiclean. I do however use a diptube brush and break down posts and poppets every time a keg kicks.

How often do you guys clean your beer lines? I only do it every time a keg kicks, and prior to putting a fresh keg in its place. That can be a couple months in some cases depending on style. I recently saw a video from a homebrewer I know, and he recommends cleaning the lines every week. I thought that seemed awfully excessive, but maybe I'm just too relaxed about the issue.

Homemade pizza sounds good. I haven't made one in a while. Love me some spent grain pizza dough made with wort instead of water. I don't usually get super creative with toppings. I'm a simpleton in that regard.

Wow weekly does seem excessive. I am kinda in the lazy mans approach to keg line cleaning. If I am putting the same or a darker heavier beer in right away I dont even bother cleaning them. Otherwise if the lines are going to be empty for any amount of time I flush them well with hot water. Then I run PBW or equivalent through it for a while followed by a starsan rinse when retapping. Works fine for me. No real discoloration or flavors transferred yet.

I clean my kegs the same as Stauffbier describes. I use BLC followed by warm water then star san on my beer lines probably every six weeks. I only have two taps and the beer does not sit in the lines too long.

Wow weekly does seem excessive. I am kinda in the lazy mans approach to keg line cleaning. If I am putting the same or a darker heavier beer in right away I dont even bother cleaning them. Otherwise if the lines are going to be empty for any amount of time I flush them well with hot water. Then I run PBW or equivalent through it for a while followed by a starsan rinse when retapping. Works fine for me. No real discoloration or flavors transferred yet.

That makes two of us. I screwed up this year though. I forgot to flush a line with a little bit of stout left in it. Had some dried on deposits that were a real pain. I would have just replaced it, but I was curious to see if I could clean it. Strong PBW changeouts couple times a day for a few days followed by BLC did the trick. Worked so good, I went ahead and did it to my other line too just for good measure. At the end, you couldn't even smell beer when flushed with warm water. Now it's back to lazy for a while. :tank:

Im just jealous and wish I had kegs to worry about cleaning. But thats going to be my next investment. Damn this cleaning bottles :mug:

Im just jealous and wish I had kegs to worry about cleaning. But thats going to be my next investment. Damn this cleaning bottles :mug:

I totally heard that in a Johnny Cash voice even though slightly modified words.

I'm just jealous and wish i had
Kegs to worry about cleaning grand
But that's not going to be my next investment you see
Damn this cleaning bottles between you and me.
Doesn't make it right between my fermenter you see...

and somewhere it goes on from there.

:mug:

We failed to save the Southern California Homebrew Fest for 2014. :( A win for the neo-prohitionist. I hope it does not spread. My guess is the AHA is scratching San Diego off the short list.

I totally heard that in a Johnny Cash voice even though slightly modified words.

EDITOkay, just listend to the song I was thinking about and not sure what song of JC's it was I was thinking about becase that one wasn't it. Still, somthing about the cadence I guess of JC's songs. It sounded good in my head. Maybe a cross between One Peice at a Time and something else. I don't know. Made sense to me at the time, not so much now.. I'm no musician. :eek: Seems like most people in my family are, but I'm not.

We failed to save the Southern California Homebrew Fest for 2014. :( A win for the neo-prohitionist. I hope it does not spread. My guess is the AHA is scratching San Diego off the short list.

LRB, I know this cause is something you're passionate about but I'm pretty ignorant on the situation.

I have no idea what a "neo-prohitionist" is but believe they must be much like prohobitionist except not quite.

Can you put your fight in terms I understand. I was all for what you were doing because I know you have a good head and heart.. but I didn't really know what your were doing exactly. :eek:

Sorry to hear LRB...from everything I have ever heard/read sounded like an awesome event! Any chance of overturning it?

I do like to play my guitar like Johnny Cash. You may have just written a new song there :tank:

Dn, your the songwriter. You pt some amazing things on paper. It will be up to others to add the music. You have an amazing gift for prose and poetry. I enjoy reading all of your posts.

If I was to ever share anything I wrote, it'd be here. I've watched this thread for awhile, enjoying beer, thinking me too haha.

Really though, I notice this thread in early 2013 before I joined :rockin:

First time posting on this thread.. How does we do?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

EDITOkay, just listend to the song I was thinking about and not sure what song of JC's it was I was thinking about becase that one wasn't it. Still, somthing about the cadence I guess of JC's songs. It sounded good in my head. Maybe a cross between One Peice at a Time and something else. I don't know. Made sense to me at the time, not so much now.. I'm no musician. :eek: Seems like most people in my family are, but I'm not.

I've got a totally different style of country on now, Its too hard to think of what JC song it might be right now

Dn, your the songwriter. You pt some amazing things on paper. It will be up to others to add the music. You have an amazing gift for prose and poetry. I enjoy reading all of your posts.

My friend Hefehood, Doug. No I don't. I'm just trying to make it through life and sometimes get a bit tipsy and try to rhyme, or write some bad poetry. I do thank you for the complement of course. But I'm far from a song writer or poet. I sort of hope I stop spending so much time on HBT. Don't get me wrong, I love HBT and the people to. It's just, I need to move on with life with my wife. We've been apart for 3 + years. If I don't show up here much in a few months. It's because I'm with my wife again. Long, crazy story and I don't want to talk about it.

Cheers my good friend, Hefehood.

I love Johnny cash too. Sunday morning sidewalk

So if you have been reading along ......I was going on and on about a frozen pizza. Well it was good. Cheers.

Dan, how's it goin? I been off the thread a while. Real busy brewing etc.

I never meant to derail this post, I responded before I saw it. Sometimes I feel like im the only homebrewer in my area

If I was to ever share anything I wrote, it'd be here. I've watched this thread for awhile, enjoying beer, thinking me too haha.

Really though, I notice this thread in early 2013 before I joined :rockin:

First time posting on this thread.. How does we do?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Welcome, welcome. Pull up a chair, and have a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Johnny cash too. Sunday morning sidewalk

So if you have been reading along ......I was going on and on about a frozen pizza. Well it was good. Cheers.

Dan, how's it goin? I been off the thread a while. Real busy brewing etc.

I did read about your pizza adventure and it sounded wonderful! I'm thinking though, the next time I head back home to Illinois you might have a couple cold beers we could share. Not sure when that would be, maybe 30 years from now cause I probably won't go back until a funeral. I know, that sounds bad. Truth isn't always comforting.

I did read about your pizza adventure and it sounded wonderful! I'm thinking though, the next time I head back home to Illinois you might have a couple cold beers we could share. Not sure when that would be, maybe 30 years from now cause I probably won't go back until a funeral. I know, that sounds bad. Truth isn't always comforting.

Dan, I won't pour a beer down your throat during a funeral ;). I'll send ya some in the mail. You still in Cali? I'll be out there next year I hope.

What styles do you like. I do everything but stouts and porters.....and I think they are ok.

Back