What would you make with these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing a brew for my club that is doing a round 1, which entails finding the best malt make-up and mash schedule using all the same hops and yeast. Round 2, will use the winning malt/mash schedule, and go crazy with hops and yeast.

Here is what I have to use and have to stick to:
1 oz Bravo for 60 min boil
1 oz Apollo for 15 min boil
2 oz Cascade for 5 min boil
Yeast: Saf-05 - pitch/ferment at 68F

So, what malt/mash schedule would you use? I was thinking some two-row (because i have it), maybe Vienna, little biscuit... any ideas? Maybe get a little crazy or keep it simple? so many options! I was going to double the recipe and do a 10 gal batch, but now i'm thinking i should do two 5 gal brews and change it up and pick the best, just short on time, first round judging is 4/19. Cheers, should be fun.

I've never used Bravo or Apollo, but with 4oz hops and Saf-05, it looks like it might be a natural fit for a Pale Ale.

I like your idea of 2 seperate batches, maybe one that is simple and classic, an APA with a lot of attention to detail, and then a 2nd that is kind of out there, using lots of different grains/additives, like a porter or a stout that can be tweaked any number of ways.

Did they restrict the volume you ahve to make to 5 gallons? I guess they must, or it is at least in the spirit of competition. If not, you could also make a 2.5g batch but use lots of grain still so it could be an IPA or DIPA.

As far as specific grains...I don't have any good advice because I don't have enough experience. But I do see a lot of people on HBT say that Maris Otter is their favorite grain when doing SMaSH pale ales, so that might help give you a leg up. I've never used the stuff so I don't know.

I would try something a little out of the norm, since a lot of people will probably make an IPA with that hop schedule.

Maybe go for a middle of the road black IPA (I used the avg AA% for those hops).

5.5 Gallon Batch (68% efficiency)
Mash at 152 F
6.3% ABV
71 IBUs

GRAIN BILL
13 lbs 2-Row
.75 lb C40
.5 lb Chocolate
.5 lb Caraffa III
.25 lb C120

Thanks guys. I should of specified it is an IPA. I like the idea of experimenting with a few different batches, i'm going to inquire about restrictions on batch size. Black IPA could definitely be one of them. :) thanks!

Second the Rye. I have a Rye APA fermenting and can't wait. Sierra's Ruthless Rye was my first taste of rye and it's a wonderful flavor addition.

Thanks for everybody's input, did do some rye. Here is what I ended up with for a 10 gal batch:
- 24 lbs of Colorado 2-row
- 2 lbs Rye
- 1.5 lbs Biscuit
- 1 lb Crystal 40
- 1 lb Dark Munich
- 1 lb Victory

Hop schedule, had to stick to:
- 2 oz Bravo 60 mins
- 2 oz Apollo 15 mins
- 4 oz cascade 5 mins

Yeast:
- Safale American 05