Can you reuse the leftover fruit for something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this would be the appropriate place to post this question but if it needs to be moved go for it.

I have a Strawberry Blonde Ale almost ready to keg. It's been sitting on 8lbs of frozen strawberries for about two weeks now. I was curious if I could use the strawberries to make a strawberry rhubarb pie after I keg the beer. I thought if I could make a pie or something with the strawberries afterwards it would be great for Thanksgiving. Also, if I could do this it would probably have to be an "adult only" pie. Or maybe not if the heat would cook off the alcohol.

So, has anyone tried doing something like this? I think it's possible and may turn out great! If others have and have found it to not be true, I would rather not waste my time. Thanks in advance everyone and brew on!!!

I'd compost it... but a pie made out of that? Gross. Possibly good to add to a dark, beefy stew?

I would say go for it! The worst would be you spend a few bucks on ingredients and it sucks....throw it in the trash. However, if it is a nice ale flavored sweet pie, then let me know!

The yeast would have eaten all the sugars from the strawberries and probably extracted most of the flavor. Dip some out and taste and I'll bet you will want to spit them out.

I have an apple, cherry vanilla cider going right now. The cider cleared, the cherries dropped, a few have floated to the top again. They look nasty, are full of yeast, culinarily not good for much I'd think possibly an unusual sourdough starter.

Not going to happen. Once you take the beer off the fruit, it will oxidize rapidly, and start to smell like vomit in a few hours. You don't want to be cooking anything with that.

Last time I used fruit, about 11 lbs, (4 lbs cherries in 2.5 gallons and 7 lbs raspberries in 5 gallons), I tried an experiment to re-use it in another beer to see if any more flavor could be extracted.

As I moved the beer off the fruit, I poured the fruit and yeast cake into 4 gallons of fresh wort. I fermented with the original yeast (fruit was added to a secondary in the initial beer, so it wasn't a full cake). The beer is currently sitting in secondary waiting for me to bottle, so I can't report how it did. Seemed fine when I racked off the fruit to secondary.

Well, the strawberries were in no shape to reuse for something else (i.e. strawberry rhubarb pie).

@Calder, keep us posted on how you make out reusing the fruit for a second batch of beer! Good luck!

@Calder, keep us posted on how you make out reusing the fruit for a second batch of beer! Good luck!

Bottled 2 days ago. I couldn't taste any of the fruit. The beer was moved off the fruit slurry after 3 weeks and split into two; one part had oaked bourbon added, the other had vanilla and coffee beans added.

The beer turned out excellent - not sure the fruit slurry added much. certainly didn't hurt the beer.

Back