Sour Saison Development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef123

Reaction score
I brewed a saison at the end of January, used the French saison yeast which took it to a gravity of 1.006 by the middle of February. I racked it onto 3 pounds of apricot fruit puree at that point and dumped in bottle dregs from an Orval and a Fantome strange ghost. I took gravity reading on 4/2 which was 1.002 and yesterday (6/18) which was 0.996. The original gravity was 1.058. The recipe was as follows:

10 lbs Belgian Pilsner
.5 lbs German Vienna
1 lb White Wheat
1 oz Saaz 90 minutes (3.3%AA)
.45 ounce Northern Brewer 60 minutes (8.5% AA) (1 year old)
.5 ounce fresh Ginger 2 minutes

At this point I can taste a brett flavor (what I can taste in an Orval bottle) and it is very tart. The ginger flavor was slightly noticeable when I racked it in February but it is not discernable at this point (which was what I wanted). The apricot flavor is very slight, probably wouldn't know it was apricot if I didn't tell you.

So my question is, do you think it is safe to bottle in a month? I'm moving and need to do something with it.

Do you think if I racked a gallon of it onto bing cherries it would add a good taste? And would it be ready in a month to bottle?

If I took a gallon and added a tiny amount of oak (maybe .1 oz) soaked in chardonnay and added maybe a cup of the chardonnay that would taste good?

I'm open to trying something different with part of the beer. But if anyone has experience about what may taste good I'm open to advice.

This is my first time brewing a sour beer. There was no pellicle in the secondary. Thanks guys.

the tannins in that beer would overpower it, I wouldn't use oak or if I did I'd use a lighter toast to get more of the coconut flavors and less harsh oakyness, well be carefull with it and sample often and take it off the oak when it taste right. I wouldn't worry about it, the French Saison(3711) ferments it very dry but leaves much more mouth feel then you would expect.

I decided to use some oak on most of it. I only have American house toast oak cubes, so I boiled them in water for 10 minutes. Then I soaked them overnight in a some Chardonnay, poured that wine out, and added .75 oz oak cubes and 1/3 cup fresh wine to the beer. I've never boiled the cubes before, do you think a week will be enough? I guess I'm not really going for any sort of strong oak flavor, but I'm not sure how it will affect the beer. The base beer was really quite sour when I tasted it two weeks ago.

Back