Adding Honey During Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruff311

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Kolsch tomorrow that I would like to add some honey flavor to. I read the BYO article on brewing with honey http://byo.com/stories/item/322-brewing-with-honey and it seems the only way to preserve the honey flavor is by adding it to the primary during high krausen. The problem is he describes this tedious, time-consuming process of heating the honey in an oven for like 3 hours @ 180F to pasteurize it. I don't want to deal with that so I'm thinking I could just boil a pound of honey in a gallon of water for 30 minutes and just use that.

Questions:
1. Would just boiling the honey for 30 minutes be good enough to kill any living organisms in the honey?
2. How do I add the boiled honey solution to the primary without splashing (aeration)?

Boiling the honey will kill a lot of the aroma and flavor. Its best to add it at flame-out. Better yet, steep some Honey Malt. Very easy and great flavor and taste in the finished product.

Sent from my Z796C using Home Brew mobile app

I do have 8oz of honey malt on the bill, but I couldn't add more because it would darken up my Kolsch too much.

Doesn't adding honey to the boil cause all of it's flavors to ferment out?

When I use honey, it is always added at the end of boil, and only at 212 F for 5 minutes at most. If you want to boil it, I would keep it at a minimum, just enough time to thoroughly dissolve the honey in the water. You might also use less h2o...2 quarts should be sufficient if boiling. Good Luck!

When adding at the end of the boil, do you find that you still retain some honey flavor in the finished product?

Not really. The yeast does a number on honey. Most flavor and aroma will be blown out of the airlock. What little remains will be covered by malt and hops.

Sent from my Z796C using Home Brew mobile app

Omg did I ruin my batch? I don't know what came over me. I was brewing a black IPA and right about flameout I grabed some ambrosia 100% colorado honey and poured
some in my batch. Will the yeast eat it all up? I hope so because I'm not too sure I want honey notes in my black IPA , it wasn't that much just a few seconds a squeezing from the bottle .

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

NO need to boil honey. I was a honey addict when I started, did like 50 batches. I've added it every which way, to the mash, boil, flameout, primary, secondary, bottling.

I just added it straight. Never had any issues. Make sure its real honey that you are using. Google "fake honey" to see what I am talking about

Honey will only come through in light beers, and its subtle. No worries with a black IPA, the hops and roasted malts will completely mask it. I've only had noticeable results with pale wheats, adding the honey to the primary at the tail end of fermentation and primed with it. And its was pretty subtle. Suprisingly, when you cracked a bottle, you got the aroma the most.

Back