BeerSmith Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want 1.75 gallons into my bottles. What size batch do I tell BeerSmith?
Seems if I set batch for 1.75 then I wind up w/about 1.25 gallons due to boil off and grain absorbtion.

beersmith calculates all of that for you... if you set the batch at 1.75 gallons, then the preboil volume is larger to compensate, and it compensates the grain absorbtion for you and everything. The only loss is when you are taking hydrometer samples and such. You can even adjust your boil off rate, and loss to chiller and mash tun etc. if you know what those numbers are :)

You have BeerSmith II, correct? You need to set up a custom equipment profile for your specific equipment, and like BenB said, BeerSmith will then calculate the correct total water volume for you.

So, say you lose 0.7 gallons/10lbs of grain to absorbtion, then your particular pot loses 1.5 gallons/hr. to boiloff, and you lose about 0.5 gallons to trub. BeerSmith will then calculate your total water volumes, including sparge volumes if you select that as your brew method. If this were a full-volume BIAB, like I do, BeerSmith would give me a starting water volume for a 5.0 gallon batch with a 10lb grain bill of 5.0 gallons (final volume) + 0.7 gallon (grain absorbtion) + 1.5 gallons (60 minute boil boiloff) + 0.5 (trub) = 7.7 gallon total starting water volume to end up with 5.0 gallons.

But all of these variables are specific to your equipment and process, so you really need to dial in these variables for your brewday and enter them as a custom equipment profile in BeerSmith.

You have BeerSmith II, correct? You need to set up a custom equipment profile for your specific equipment, and like BenB said, BeerSmith will then calculate the correct total water volume for you.

So, say you lose 0.7 gallons/10lbs of grain to absorbtion, then your particular pot loses 1.5 gallons/hr. to boiloff, and you lose about 0.5 gallons to trub. BeerSmith will then calculate your total water volumes, including sparge volumes if you select that as your brew method. If this were a full-volume BIAB, like I do, BeerSmith would give me a starting water volume for a 5.0 gallon batch with a 10lb grain bill of 5.0 gallons (final volume) + 0.7 gallon (grain absorbtion) + 1.5 gallons (60 minute boil boiloff) + 0.5 (trub) = 7.7 gallon total starting water volume to end up with 5.0 gallons.

But all of these variables are specific to your equipment and process, so you really need to dial in these variables for your brewday and enter them as a custom equipment profile in BeerSmith.

Thanks, yea I'm still playing w/setting up my equipment profile. Keeping records of each brew trying to figure out the numbers. I just switched to a turkey fryer burner from a 1500w hot plate. Now I can really get a rolling boil. I think I'm loosing .75g in the hour but I've only used it once.

I have my evaporation rate set for 8%, and i have never changed the mash absorbtion settings in beersmith or know if I can...

Back