Major Flavor Difference WLP007 vs WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taboot

Reaction score
I am brewing the Calico Amber clone from CYBI, which calls for WLP007(Dry English Ale), so I ran to the LHBS to get what I needed. They pretty much only carry Wyeast and I didn't know what the equivalent was, so they gave me London ESB Ale, which is 1968. After getting back to work, I see that 1968 is essentially WLP002. My question is...will I really notice that much of a difference between the 2? I read that 007 attenuates lower than 002, but in an American Amber is it alright to leave some sweetness behind by keeping with the 002?

I can always run back tomorrow if need be, but I was wanting to get the starter going tonight for a Friday brew day.

wyeast equiv of 007 is 1098. I just finished two fairly similar beers, one with 1968 and one with 1098. I was expecting the 1098 to be lower in esters, but it might be a little more fruity than 1968. Both certainly have that English character.

As far as attenuation, I got 70% AA with 1968 and 74% AA with 1098.

What is the expected OG and FG for that recipe?

It is a 1.055 SG, so I would expect 1.011 with the WLP007. I think I am just going to pick up the Whitbred yeast tomorrow and go with that. I will probably end up brewing an ESB before the summer ends anyway, so I will keep ahold of the 1968.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back