Shipyard Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this beer? I had it the other night for the first time and I really liked it.

What pumpkin ales are good and somewhat easy to find?

DFH has been the best I've tried thus far. I loooove Shipyard though and haven't had their Pumpkin Ale yet. They're getting harder to find in my area (Delaware). From what I understand it's a problem of distribution. I discovered them on my ski trip to Maine last year and it's been a treasure hunt to drink the stuff as much as I can ever since then lol

I think Shipyard Pumpkin is OK. It could use a little more body.

+1 on Dogfish

I also *love* Post Road (by Brooklyn)

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is good as well

If you are looking for a Pumpkin Stout/Porter, I recommend Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout.

I avoid Shipyard's pumpkinhead like the plague! No thank-you...I'm sure its a fine beer, just not down my alley. Fortunately, Gritty's makes a non-pumpkin fall ale (Halloween Ale), an ESB. Every year I look forward to fall just so I can have that beer.

Shipyard has also released a Smashed Pumpkin Ale as part of their Pugsley's Signature Series. I don't think its supposed to be an imperalized version of Pumpkinhead but it rings in at 1.088 and 9%ABV. I haven't tried it.

Did not like that beer. The bottle I had was overcarbonated, watery and didn't have any pumpkin character (just spices).

DFH is quite a bit better. A good pumpkin beer will actually have hints of pumpkin in it.

I really like this one. Some people will tell you it's a little thin, but I like it. Tried to find a clone, but came up empty.

I also tried an O'Fallon Pumpkin last night. The bitterness profile is a little more distinct and it's a bit more full-bodied, but I liked that one too.

I"ve been looking for a good pumpkin ale and haven't found one yet. So far I've tried Buffalo Bill, Ichabod by New Holland and Lakefront's Pumpkin lager. They all tasted thin and not very spicey or pumpkiny. I have Shipyard and Pumking but I haven't tried them yet. I will say I tend to love dark German beers and Belgium Ales so lager's just don't do it for me. I'll have to try the DFH and and Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout.

BabyCatcher - Give the Shipyard a try and let us know what you think. I think it's pumpkiny enough, but as others have stated, a little thin. Give the O'Fallon a try if you can find it... not sure how widely they distribute.

I tried the Saranac Pumpkin tonight and wouldn't recommend it at all. More spice than pumpkin. As far as a beer goes, not bad, but there are much better pumpkin options out there.

I think shipyard is a crappy lager with a cinnamon after taste.AND theres no pumpkin in it!If you like like the spicy beers try southern tiers pumpking.It's awesome,But By far my favorite(most balanced pumpkin/spices IMO) Is the Post road.

EDIT: oddly enough the michaloeb one is pretty good too.

My number one choice would be Southern Tier Pumking, but DFH Punkin is good too.

I still wish I could find a clone recipe for Pumking. It's a 9 percent beer, but you'd never know that without reading the label.

Many people here are talking about pumpkin taste vs. spice. The thing it, pumpkin doesn't actually taste like much in a beer-- it is like adding squash. What it does is give the beer color and body. But the flavor and aroma in pumpkin beers basically come from the spices.

I don't think Shipyard uses real pumpkin, which is why it is so thin.

+1 on Fishermans Pumpkin stout, I will be heading up there to get a few growlers tonight. It has a really mellow spice background and really blends nicely with the maltiness.

I havent had the DFH punkin this year, but in the past I have loved it.

Shipyard is too thin with too much spice for my taste, I can only have one.

Many people here are talking about pumpkin taste vs. spice. The thing it, pumpkin doesn't actually taste like much in a beer-- it is like adding squash. What it does is give the beer color and body. But the flavor and aroma in pumpkin beers basically come from the spices.

I don't think Shipyard uses real pumpkin, which is why it is so thin.

A lot of people say that.Personally I CAN taste the pumpkin in beer.Oddly enough I can tell the difference between pumpkin pie and squash/pumpkin pie too.I guess my palate is good for something:D

I was going to say the same thing. Pumpkin definitely lends a distinct flavor to a pumpkin beer and a well done one will have pumpkin to complement the spices.

+1 to the pumpkin contributing flavor.

Very easy to tell between a pumpkin spice beer and a pumpkin beer.

At all costs avoid Jack's pumpkin ale - once again A-B trying to give a bad name to craft brewers

I tried Shipyard and I thought it was thin and watery with a spicey after taste. It wasn't what I'v been looking for. Next I tried Southern Tier Punking. I had such high hopes but I really didn't like it. I thought it had an odd vanilla flavor. My husband couldn't even finish that one and he'll drink any beer. We opened a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve and that hit the spot. The quest for the perfect pumpkin ale continues.

I've heard really good things about the Post Road and also the Southern Tier Pumking. Never had neither.

Ones I have had, and some relative grades:

Weyerbacher: 10 (best so far, so I'll normalize other scores on this one)
DFH Punk: 8
Shipyard: 2
Buffalo Bill: 2 (this was very, very much like the shipyard. Are these guys just taking bud and putting some pie spices in there? Also, for both, the head died frightfully quickly.)

Punkinhead is actually a wheat beer, which is why this one stand outs among the pumpkin beers... that and the ##### ringwood!

Man, I hate ringwood.

Weyerbacher: 10 (best so far, so I'll normalize other scores on this one)
DFH Punk: 8

+1 to that! But I'd slide Post Road in at 9 (like others have said). I think weyerbacher has the best combination of body and spice. Great aroma.

I'm in center PA. Weyerbacher is in Easton, PA so it's close by and Post Road is in NY but distributed wider than Weyerbacher. Still, it probably won't make it down to Florida. You can try one of those beer of the month clubs if you want some variety from some smaller micros not in your area. (beermonthclub.com for example)

I had a Southern Tier Pumpking, and thought it was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It didn't smell or taste like a pumpkin beer, and instead had some sort of stale spice taste (maybe clove). I gave it to my wife who also thought it was totally gross. I really wonder if I got a bad bottle, because I have heard so many good things. But I am not sure I want to spend another $7 to find out. . .

I'm in center PA. Weyerbacher is in Easton, PA so it's close by and Post Road is in NY but distributed wider than Weyerbacher. Still, it probably won't make it down to Florida. You can try one of those beer of the month clubs if you want some variety from some smaller micros not in your area. (beermonthclub.com for example)

I am in FL and I can get all the Weyerbacher stuff. Local craft brew places (Leukens) carry it. I must say this one was a real surprise.

I had a Southern Tier Pumpking, and thought it was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It didn't smell or taste like a pumpkin beer, and instead had some sort of stale spice taste (maybe clove). I gave it to my wife who also thought it was totally gross. I really wonder if I got a bad bottle, because I have heard so many good things. But I am not sure I want to spend another $7 to find out. . .

Anyone reviewing a pumpkin beer is judging it against other pumpkins. I.e., the Weyerbacher is an excellent pumpkin beer, but very mediocre compared to all beer styles (IMO). I would get one for sipping during the holidays, but I'm not downing them while mowing the lawn.

Maybe you just don't like pumpkin beer. And yes, most or all pumpkin beers taste mostly like pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, clove) and not like pumpkin.

Maybe you just don't like pumpkin beer. And yes, most or all pumpkin beers taste mostly like pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, clove) and not like pumpkin.

No, I recommended several pumpkin beers earlier in the thread.

My favorite pumpkin ale is Elysian Night Owl (Seattle microbrewery). Admittedly I haven't tried many others though. Elysian also makes an imperial pumpkin spice called The Great Pumpkin. Haven't tried that yet.

I had 1/2 of one last night at my party. Some girl couldn't finish hers. I had problems finishing mine. I'd just assume have a piece of pumpkin pie.

Had it a couple nights ago, and it was really good. Very carbonated, a little light on the pumpkin taste, but that's ok with me.

If every beer, pumpkin or otherwise, tasted like Tom, Dick or Harry's favorite, then wouldn't we all be Tom, Dick or Harry... I'm just sayin'...:D

Everyone's tastes are different, that's why we have so many different and delicious beer styles and interpretations to choose from..

They're all good to somebody, unless you prefer milk..:mug:

OMG, just gotta say, my The Great Pumpkin Ale is sooooo good. I just drank the hydrometer and it is gonna be a winner. If my scottish ale yeast does its job, I should end up with 8.5% (OG=1.090). I went with the common cloves/cinnamon/nutmeg, but I also threw melanoiden and biscuit in there to ensure a toasty backbone to the spice that will attack first. It should be a great Christmas beer. BTW, i skipped the pumpkin altogether.

Oh yea, happy me: I also broke in my new March pump and Therminator.

Back