Favorite Board Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of board games, but don't get to play them as often as I'd like anymore due to kids. Seems like very few people play anymore..

Here are some that I like...

Acquire - a hotel game where you build chains and can buy stock in other player's chains

Settlers of Catan - a resource game where you build cities, roads and armys

Civilization - a very popular computer series that started as a board game - all about advancing your civilization up the technology tree

Diplomacy - the name kinda says everything

Axis and Allies - WW2 strategy game

Too many railroad games to mention

Anyone play these anymore? Any others to add?

I'm currently playing a lot of Candyland and Hi Ho Cherry-O!

My personal favorites are any of the Trivial Pursuit games or games of that nature. I suck at strategy games.

Axis and Allies, Trivial Pursuit, Life, Sorry, and Trouble. Yahtzee is ok. Operation is fun too but I'm sure they've changed it since I last played.

Me, my wife, and some other friends have come up with a favorite that we've played a few hundred times: drinking Yahtzee (aka Shotzy Yahtzee).

It starts out with one house rule: if you get a Yahtzee, you take a Shotzy. Each round, the winner gets to make a new rule. Some favorites are:

Take a shot if you miss your upper bonus
Take a shot if you win
Take a shot if you drop a dice off the table
Take a shot if you swear
Take a shot if you say "drink"
Take a drink if you use someone's real first name
Take a shot if you lose

Etc, etc.

HurricaneFloyd said:
...Operation is fun too but I'm sure they've changed it since I last played.

I actually bought that a few years ago. It's the GREATEST drinking game ever!!

One drink per $100. If you succeed, you give em out and if you fail, you drink!

Very fun!!

Is Scrabble considered a board game? My wife kicks my butt at Scrabble and Chess. Aside from those we also play LEGO Builders--a board game where you race to build some little car, airplane, boat etc.

Did anyone here play Passout as a teen/ young/ older adult? We used to play it in my brief career as a student. No smoking until you get a " light up" card. Pink elephant cards with tongue twisters on them every time you pass go. Lots of drinking penalties. You start off drinking hard, and end up taking baby sips and hoping you can keep it down.

Come to think of it, it sounds like alcohol poisoning...:(

Man I grew up playing board games. With six of us kids running around in the days before PS2 and the like, that's all there was. My favorites then: Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Clue, Sorry!, Battleship, Backgammon. We also played a lot of Cribbage, but that's not necessarily a board game.

My favorites now: Trivial Pursuit, SceneIt, Backgammon, Mindtrap. I also find myself playing a bit of chess, but I don't really like it- I play because my son loves it. I still play a lot of Cribbage, too.

I'm a Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble kind of woman. Oh, and Clue. Sadly, most of my friends don't like board games, so I don't get to play as often as I'd like. I thought about finding a weekly Scrabble club, but those people tend to take it way too seriously for me.

sudsmonkey said:
Did anyone here play Passout as a teen/ young/ older adult? We used to play it in my brief career as a student. No smoking until you get a " light up" card. Pink elephant cards with tongue twisters on them every time you pass go. Lots of drinking penalties. You start off drinking hard, and end up taking baby sips and hoping you can keep it down.

"A skunk sat on a stump.
The skunk thunk the stump stunk.
The stump thunk the skunk stunk.
Do you think the skunk stunk?"

I have NO idea what you are talking about...

Anyone ever play Cardinal Puff?
:mug:

dancingbarefoot said:
I'm a Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble kind of woman. Oh, and Clue.

Yeah, Clue! In no other game can you cleanly say, "Colonel Mustard did it to Miss Scarlet in the bedroom with a lead pipe."

-walker

sudsmonkey said:

In my version of Passout you held your hand over someone's mouth and nose and saw who passed out first.

Clue rocks. I've been playing a lot of that lately. I played the "Simpsons" clue last night with some friends. Go figure, it was Homer with the poisoned donut who killed Mr. Burns in Burns Manor...

One of these days I WILL get to be Colonel Mustard!

wow, i just read the responses regarding Settlers of Catan in the Brewery Name Meaning thread, and found my way here.

as a couple of you said, Settlers rules!!! ive never met anyone who plays that wasnt in the original group that introduced it to me, or that i didnt teach the game to myself. as my screen name shows, i love collecting Wheat!!! best resource in the game!

- Settlers of Catan

- Pictionary: my favorite hands down! my friend and i actually started a competitive scoreboard to track our wins and losses to eachother. to our quite clear recollection, we've never lost to anyone but eachother, no joke. we're both good drawers, but we like to attribute our victory to mind-power lol

- Risk

I'm a big pictionary fan too, but it's a game I CAN'T play with my wife ...or if I do, we can't be on the same team. For some reason, that game seems to always end up with her being mad at me. I'm pretty decent at drawing, but for some reason, she doesn't follow my thought process - which is strange because we're both usually on the same wavelength. Then she ends up getting nervous when she's drawing and freezes - lol.

My brother, on the other hand, can usually guess what I'm doing well before it's finished.

We used to keep track of Monopoly wins back when I was young and single. We even had a Monopoly Cup that the winner got to keep until the next game. Those were some COMPETITIVE games.

Dude---

Settlers, yes!

Diplomacy, very much so! I'm involved in the local Dip-players group (here's a Washington Post article about us- I'm not mentioned, sadly).

I'd love to get an online Dip game going with HomeBrewTalk people. Very much worthwhile.

I also just started playing TransAmerica (nominally a rail game, but really it's a network-building game). I think I may buy it.

And Munchkin. I play a lot of Munchkin.

Backgammon is a fav for me, though I think I'm the only one in MT who plays it anymore, thus I'm forced to play against the computer. I'm starting to think that nobody under the age of 40 has even heard of the game.
Regards, GF.

awesome necro thread

grognard

English Etymology
From the French grognard ‎(“grumbler”).

Noun
grognard ‎(plural grognards)
An old soldier.
(games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing older war-games or roleplaying games, or older versions of such games, when newer ones are available

love those old war-games, the ones with the cardboard counters played on hexagonal-spaced maps. they're all computerized now & I enjoy not having to set up and keep track of 1000s of counters, so I'm a grognErd

haven't played any of your standard board games in a while, but do like Monopoly & I kick all the a$$ in Trivial Pursuit

278.jpg

Backgammon is a fav for me, though I think I'm the only one in MT who plays it anymore, thus I'm forced to play against the computer. I'm starting to think that nobody under the age of 40 has even heard of the game.
Regards, GF.

Guess you'll have to start teaching people, lol.

awesome necro thread

love those old war-games, the ones with the cardboard counters played on hexagonal-spaced maps. they're all computerized now & I enjoy not having to set up and keep track of 1000s of counters, so I'm a grognErd

haven't played any of your standard board games in a while, but do like Monopoly & I kick all the a$$ in Trivial Pursuit

View attachment 345452

Yep... I know something about a ton of chits. Luckily, there are a lot of those old games that are free to print and play, if you have the desire. But I think the computer versions are definitely easier to deal with.

Just not as satisfying as being able to touch everything.

Here's one of my travel games, stays in a folder, all pieces are in a baggie stapled to the inside of it. Operation Iraqi Freedom.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458389820.872421.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458389830.240394.jpg

Pics suck because they are older, but you get the point.

That's pretty cool.

I have the same scenario in my Operational Art of War bundle

Minus the cool travel satchel

I liked playing board games but nobody ever pays attention to the game! When I was a kid my sister would stare off towards the tv. Now my wife and kids will watch TV during a game, or talk among themselves, or get on their phone.

F it!

I'll go play WoW with my buddy!

But seriously, The usual games can be found at our house: A few chess and trivial pursuit games, clue, Sorry, Trouble, Ticket to Ride (train game).

Dominion
Munchkin
Settlers
Pandemic
Risk

I'ma have to check out that Double D Wraith of Azerbaijan thing Psy mentioned. Looks interesting.

Can we get a homebrew board game group going on locally? I would host it.

While not as sleek as though my latest game is Monopoly Deal, it's a very quick monopoly game that while has a lot of chance to win, there is strategy.

My all-time favorite board game was Hero Quest. I can not tell you the last time I played a board game, but it was likely Risk and I hate it because I suck at it. I bought Frontiers, it is still in the box.

I'll be buying D&D Wrath of Ashartdemon as soon as possible. It looks to be exactly what I need in a board game.

Brew day is usually game day as well. My favorites are:
Settler of Catan (w Cities & Knights)
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
DC Deck Builder
and Cribbage

I'm going to need a bigger table.

It's funny... the direction I end up exploring is directly related to how much table space I have in any one direction.

The bad parts that I can't control are hallways that only have one exit, or sentry monsters that pull new tiles (and monsters) when there is no hero on their tile and it has an unexplored edge. Sometimes I can make the dungeon a nice square, but more often than not, it ends up looking like that.

My all-time favorite board game was Hero Quest. I can not tell you the last time I played a board game, but it was likely Risk and I hate it because I suck at it. I bought Frontiers, it is still in the box.

I'll be buying D&D Wrath of Ashartdemon as soon as possible. It looks to be exactly what I need in a board game.

The only reason I love/hate risk is how much the die rolls factor into winning. Yeah, there's some strategy, but if you roll like ****, it all goes out the window. It's true for a lot of games, but Risk is one of the worst for that.

Still play it once in a blue moon though, haha.

That's why it's called "Risk" and not "Stratego" bruh.

Yeah... Just hate watching 4 hrs of positioning go down in a blaze of ****ty rolls. Welp, that was fun!

Of course, we played for money quite a bit, so that made me hate it even more.

Do you have someone that you game with frequently?

I don't care. I laughed my ass off while I was typing Wrath of Ashartdemon. You guys have no funny.
Also, staying as far away from FIL as possible.

Latest posts

Back