Fruit Beer All Grain Cherry Wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBrewer

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at a cherry wheat. Here is my recipe.
4lbs American 2row
4lbs White Wheat malt
1can of Vinter's Reserve sweet cherry purée
1oz cascade hops @ 60 min
1700mL starter WLP001 Cal Ale yeast
Irish moss
Mash grains @152F in 1.5 qt/lb of water for 60min.
Mash out @170F for 10 min.
Fly Sparge and collect 7 gallons of wort.
Bring to boil and add hops. Boil for 45 min. Then add Irish moss. Maintain boil for 15 min then chill and whirlpool wort. Let trub settle then drain into fermenter. Pitch yeast and ferment at 65 F degrees. Toward the end of primary fermentation add fruit directly to primary or add fruit to secondary and rack beer on top of fruit. I prefer adding to primary. Less risk of contamination and leaves head space for vigorous fermentation created by fruit. Once fermentation is complete I kegged and force carbonated.
The beer turned out great if I change anything I might bitter next time with a lower alpha hop.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks good. I'm trying something similar after seeing this. I have cherries in the freezer from our backyard that I'll probably add to seconday. Also, I'll be using Fuggles instead of cascade simply because I have some left over from a porter I made.

I'm doing a similar beer, no wheat, but I'm wondering how much cherry flavor you got out of one can of the cherry puree, I want some cherry flavor, but not to completely overshadow the rest of the beer. Any feedback?

One can added a nice slight cherry flavor. It does ferment out slot of the sweetness so it's not as bad as you may think. I added towards the end of primary but you can add earlier so it ferments more sweetness out. I did that with apricot one time. Added after two days of fermentation. Turned out great. My advice, don't be scared and just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back