Mashing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so my Asahi Dry recipie calls for 1.5lbs of crushed then cooked rice as part of the grain bill, with a 30min 122degree rest. I am assuming the rest is to soak the starches out of the rice before the conversion.

So the question is do you think it would work to rest the rice by itself or should I do the rest for the whole caboodle?

Next question: If doing the protien rest can I then heat the mash directly or do I need to add hot water or both (I have a Sabco mash tun and there is about a gallon of dead space under the false bottom.) I'm trying to avoid having to boil down 7- 8 gallons

check this out: http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.4/miller.html

budbo said:
OK so my Asahi Dry recipie calls for 1.5lbs of crushed then cooked rice as part of the grain bill, with a 30min 122degree rest. I am assuming the rest is to soak the starches out of the rice before the conversion.

The rest is the protein rest, which is necessary for the protein degradation of the adjunct rice (unmalted grain)

So the question is do you think it would work to rest the rice by itself or should I do the rest for the whole caboodle?

you need to rest it in the mash with the barley since it will provide the enzymes you need.

Next question: If doing the protein rest can I then heat the mash directly or do I need to add hot water or both (I have a Sabco mash tun and there is about a gallon of dead space under the false bottom.) I'm trying to avoid having to boil down 7- 8 gallons

You can use direct heat and stop at the rest temps. Between the rests the temp should increase by ~ 2F/min. But you can also mash in a little thicker and add hot water to raise the temp. The protoelytic enzymes (protein rest) like it a little thicker than the amylases (saccrification rest).

You may even mash in at 100F and let the beta glucanase break down the gums for 10 - 20 min before raising the temp to the protein rest.

I don't brew with adjuncts myself, but just want to give you pointers on how to mash with them.

Kai

I used Kaiser's recommendations on step mashing for unmalted wheat and it helped quite a bit. I gained about 7 points of efficiency from last time I used a large amount of adjuncts. I use a rubbermaid cooler for a mash tun, so I just did an infusion step mash. Worked great, but I wouldn't want to try it without Promash to do the calculations for me!

Thanks I know Kaiser is the "master of the protien rest" that's why I asked.. this will be my second AG and first multi stage mash....

Back