Adding wort mid-primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
Hey All -

So I've got my first AG batch mashing right now. And I decided to cut the recipe in half (2.5 gallon recipe as opposed to 5 gallon recipe) because I only have a 5 gallon kettle (posting pics soon).

The issue is that I want to make one 2.5 gallon batch today, then make the other 2.5 gallon batch tomorrow. I have enough fermenters for this, but I do not have enough room in my fermentation chiller for two buckets. What I was thinking of doing is pouring my first batch in the primary tonight after pitching, then adding the second half of my batch to the primary tomorrow night, and pitch the second half of my yeast. Does that make sense? Can you guys figure out any issue with doing this?

If I wait until my first batch is out of primary until I make my second batch, my ingredients will have gone bad. Thoughts, ideas?

Pitch all of your yeast with the first batch, that will give you more growth. Other than that, I don't see any problems. Most larger breweries have fermenters 2, 3 even 4 times the size of the mash tun and just keep adding to a batch until the fermenter is full.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that about the larger breweries.

This is exactly what I did. So I now have 2.5 gallons fermenting with 5 gallons worth of yeast right now. The airlock is bubbling away happily! :D Is there the potential of off-flavors from over-pitching?

Back