Did I miss my opportunity to do a D-rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurls

Reaction score
I'm doing my first lager; Octoberfest using WL German Larger Yeast. My starting gravity was 1.50 and I pitched a 2L starter. My expected final gravity is 1.014. It's been in the primary for 1 week at 50-55 degrees and slowly bubbling away all week. I took my first gravity reading today and it was 1.18. :confused:

My plan was to keep it in the primary for 10-14 days (depending on the hyrdo readings), then do and D-rest by bringing it up to 65-68 over 2 days, letting it rest 1-2 days, then bring it slowing down to lagering temps. I'll lager it for at least 6 weeks.

It seems fermentaion has gone quicker than I expected. I've read that diacetyl rest should be started when fermentation is about 75% done. Did I miss my window? Should I start D-rest now or am I better off leting the fermentation finish at 50 and take my chances with diacetyl? Will doing a D-rest now do any harm?

I kegged once for a week and came back to find a prominent butter flavor in my brew.

I pulled the pressure, undid the lid, tossed in 1 tsp of dry yeast and put the lid back on. Gave it a small hit with gas and purged, re-hit the gas and let it sit outside of the fridge for another week and it was good. ;)

If you do have any remaining buttery flavor you can always cover it up with dry hopping. (I tried that once too and it worked well).

Latest posts

Back