American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did an IPA last weekend. Used the ZD grain bill (upped to 1.078) and over 13oz of Citra, Nelson Sauvin, and Simcoe in the last 15 minutes. It smells and tastes great already, albeit green. It's getting 4.5-6 oz of dryhop (1.5-2 oz of each that were in the boil). Can't wait.

Nice, I've got a citra, galaxy, simcoe fermenting along with the ZD. How do you like Nelson?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Dry hopped mine last night, FG was spot on. Already tasted good, can't wait to get it into bottles and carbed up!:mug:

Chinook, Citra and Mosaic go together amazingly well. I make an IPA that is primarily hopped with Mosaic and Chinook as flavor/aroma additions after 10min, then dry hopped with Citra and the Mosaic. It's delicious, i think the other two hops really bring out the flavor profile of the Citra.

Racked my ZD to the secondary today. Looks, smells, and tastes beautiful. Already Super clear!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

1391128036510.jpg

I must have done something wrong. Mine is so much darker

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Ya I don't think it should be much darker

What carb levels were people going for?

I've found 2.1 - 2.6 volumes of CO2 seems to be about right for an IPA but just wanted to verify. I'll be bottling this tonight and don't want to over carb.

Mine finished bottle conditioning a couple days ago and this is an amazing brew. It needs to sit a little longer to clarify but the flavor and aroma is incredible.

20140131_214630.jpg

Just finished my fourth round with this recipe…phenomenal.

I brew with some guys who are beer travelers, Santa Rosa, Seattle, Paso Robles, Chico--we've got great beer experience in our inner circle--I was floored when it was uttered that this beer was about as good as it gets.

Color is perfect, great carbonation, wonderful floral hop notes, tremendous glass webbing, and great mouth feel. It is simply exceptional. Thanks for posting this tremendous recipe.

I've had almost all of the countries great IPAs and IIPAs the only two that have eluded me are Pliny the Younger and Zombie Dust…I sure wish I could try a Zombie Dust to see where I'm at. If the original is better I may have to move to Indiana.

I'll post some pics later, planning a small "opening" for the Super Bowl.

Bottled my first attempt at this one last night. Already tastes delicious. Can't wait for it to carb up and chill!

Brewed my first batch of the recipe last weekend. Was wondering if the cold crashing is a necessary step? I have never done this before and I am not sure if I am up for it.

Skeezer, et al.

I joined this forum today specifically for the purpose of singing this recipe’s praises. I made the 5-gallon PM version but used a 5 # grain bill. So 2.5 lbs 2-Row and 4.5 lbs. DME. Everything else in the recipe remained the same. Used Wyeast 1968 with a 1L starter on a stir plate and dry-hopped for 9 days. 2 weeks bottle conditioning at room temp, 1 more week conditioning in the fridge. The end result? WOW is this sh*t good! I absolutely love it! I’ve had ZD many times, especially the old recipe when it was 100% citra, and I have to say this is damn close. What an amazing recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. I plan on making this again, and again, and again, and again… probably trying different yeasts along the way. Think I'll use S-04 on the next one and see how that turns out. Then probably WLP001 on the third batch.

Brewed my first batch of the recipe last weekend. Was wondering if the cold crashing is a necessary step? I have never done this before and I am not sure if I am up for it.

Cold crashing isn't necessary. I didn't cold crash mine and it turned out fine. It was clearer before the dry hop, but still looks great to me. Here's a pic:

IMG_1171.jpg

Skeezer, et al.

I joined this forum today specifically for the purpose of singing this recipe’s praises. I made the 5-gallon PM version but used a 5 # grain bill. So 2.5 lbs 2-Row and 4.5 lbs. DME. Everything else in the recipe remained the same. Used Wyeast 1968 with a 1L starter on a stir plate and dry-hopped for 9 days. 2 weeks bottle conditioning at room temp, 1 more week conditioning in the fridge. The end result? WOW is this sh*t good! I absolutely love it! I’ve had ZD many times, especially the old recipe when it was 100% citra, and I have to say this is damn close. What an amazing recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. I plan on making this again, and again, and again, and again… probably trying different yeasts along the way. Think I'll use S-04 on the next one and see how that turns out. Then probably WLP001 on the third batch.

Cold crashing isn't necessary. I didn't cold crash mine and it turned out fine. It was clearer before the dry hop, but still looks great to me. Here's a pic:

IMG_1171.jpg

I am glad you enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum!

Bottled mine yesterday. I was upset that I ended up only yielding 4 gallons in the end because this smells and tastes amazing. Have a 2nd batch fermenting away already and a 3rd to come.

I am thinking about brewing this up by while looking for ingredients I could only find Melanoiden and not Melanoidin as spelled out in the recipe. Is this the same malt with a different spelling?

I just brewed this beer and I am worried.... let me explain:

primary 1 mo
no secondary

After the 1 mo primary I racked to keg and spent 3 weeks simultaneously cold crashing, dry hopping 4 oz, and carbing.

as it was carbing I was taking samples and I had a few concerns.

1) it is WAY cloudy! I believe I have gotten through all the yeast settlement so the cloudiness is unexplained.
2) seems to have a very high surface tension. example: before it was fully carbed I would pour into glass and little droplets of beer would glide around on the surface for a few seconds before absorbing into the beer this is weird. and concerns me a bit.
3) I used those squished marbles to weigh down the hop bag when dry hopping. the problem is some of the marbles had some sort of coating. I am hoping that none of that absorbed into the beer. I am concerned that it is perhaps not safe to drink even though it tastes and smells great.

any ideas?

do you think the clouyness is from the marbles or some natural phenomenon related to yeast or dryhopping?

Nothing definitive, but mine is still pretty cloudy after 1 month in the fermenter and 3 weeks in bottles. Still pretty harsh too. Im going to cold condition for a couple of weeks and hope it clears and mellows.

I just brewed this beer and I am worried.... let me explain:

primary 1 mo
no secondary

After the 1 mo primary I racked to keg and spent 3 weeks simultaneously cold crashing, dry hopping 4 oz, and carbing.

as it was carbing I was taking samples and I had a few concerns.

1) it is WAY cloudy! I believe I have gotten through all the yeast settlement so the cloudiness is unexplained.
2) seems to have a very high surface tension. example: before it was fully carbed I would pour into glass and little droplets of beer would glide around on the surface for a few seconds before absorbing into the beer this is weird. and concerns me a bit.
3) I used those squished marbles to weigh down the hop bag when dry hopping. the problem is some of the marbles had some sort of coating. I am hoping that none of that absorbed into the beer. I am concerned that it is perhaps not safe to drink even though it tastes and smells great.

any ideas?

do you think the clouyness is from the marbles or some natural phenomenon related to yeast or dryhopping?

The cloudiness is from dry hopping. Any time you were putting in or taking out more hops you were just stirring it up more. Let it sit for a week or two without moving or taking things in and out and it will clear up. First few pints will be cloudy then you'll be fine. I always feel like the first few pints have the most hop flavor and it makes sense because there are probably the most hop oils in them.

Sent via carrier pigeon

So i don't have the capability to mash the munich 10L, can i use a munich DME as a substitute? if so how much? if that won't work should i use another steeping grain?

thanks all

Brewed this yesterday. The citra bomb aroma coming from fermentation is crazy strong. I might get banned from future brews if the wife gets a whiff of that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

So i don't have the capability to mash the munich 10L, can i use a munich DME as a substitute? if so how much? if that won't work should i use another steeping grain?

thanks all

i read somewhere that you can use a rolling pin to lightly crush the grains.

thanks all

If you can steep you can do a partial mash -- it's really the same thing just with less water and at slightly lower temps!
  • Instead of filling your brewpot and steeping in that, just use less water (people often recommend 1.25 qts per pound of grain)
  • heat to the appropriate temp (you'll want to go a bit higher than your desired mash temp because dropping room-temp grains in will chill it down a bit, this calculator will give you a target temp to start at: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml)
  • put your grain bag in (you'll want a large, loosely packed bag so that most/all grain is under the relatively low water line, many people use a cheap large paint strainer from Home Depot), stir the grain well to ensure it's all exposed to the water, cover the pot with a towel/blanket and let it sit for ~ 45 mins
  • "sparge" by pouring some slightly warmer water (lots of theories, I've been using 160 F) over the grain bag to rinse remaining sugars off of the grains.
  • fill your brewpot and carry on with your brew day.

If you can steep you can do a partial mash -- it's really the same thing just with less water and at slightly lower temps!
  • Instead of filling your brewpot and steeping in that, just use less water (people often recommend 1.25 qts per pound of grain)
  • heat to the appropriate temp (you'll want to go a bit higher than your desired mash temp because dropping room-temp grains in will chill it down a bit, this calculator will give you a target temp to start at: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml)
  • put your grain bag in (you'll want a large, loosely packed bag so that most/all grain is under the relatively low water line, many people use a cheap large paint strainer from Home Depot), stir the grain well to ensure it's all exposed to the water, cover the pot with a towel/blanket and let it sit for ~ 45 mins
  • "sparge" by pouring some slightly warmer water (lots of theories, I've been using 160 F) over the grain bag to rinse remaining sugars off of the grains.
  • fill your brewpot and carry on with your brew day.
Awesome thank you for this. Should I just steep the rest if the grains after that or should I do this for all of the specialty grains in this batch?

Finally got all the ingredients for this. Now to straighten out the garage enough to brew this, the Wookey clone recipe and an all citra crowd pleaser.

Awesome thank you for this. Should I just steep the rest if the grains after that or should I do this for all of the specialty grains in this batch?

Just mash all of the specialty grains together, there's no need to do a separate steep for the steepable grains.

I'm a relatively recent convert to partial mashing myself -- I was a little intimidated, and it took me a while to work through all of the terminology and realize that it's pretty much the same thing as steeping, just with a measured quantity of water and at a lower temp.

Good luck and enjoy! This was my first PM beer and I just brewed it again this week. A tasty one!

I've been meaning to brew this recipe for a while but haven't had the change. Yesterday I went to my LHBS with a buddy because he was brewing and they had this exact recipe already milled up. Apparently they made a double batch by accident and were selling the extra one for 20% off. I took that as a sign, so I"ll be doing this hopefully soon.

Just drank my first one from my attempt at this recipe. WOW! Definitely will be in the rotation as a beer I'm keeping in the fridge! :rockin:

Beerpower - where did you get that glass?

Hi Jammin. My apologies for the huge delay replying. That glass is an antique. It's a hand me down from my dad's basement bar. I think he's had the set since the mid 70's. I'll see if he remembers any details next time I see him, but in the meantime I'd suggest checking some antique malls.

Hi Jammin. My apologies for the huge delay replying. That glass is an antique. It's a hand me down from my dad's basement bar. I think he's had the set since the mid 70's. I'll see if he remembers any details next time I see him, but in the meantime I'd suggest checking some antique malls.

These are vintage Goblets from the 60's/70's made by the Federal Glass Company...

Here you go:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/177908718/vintage-retro-beer-glasses-water-goblets?ref=related-0

Same glass, just in a "smoke" color. Check this link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/91266016/vintage-glassware-goblet-glasses-smoke

Back