AB 20th anniversary sale storing LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod734

Reaction score
I ordered 5 kits from AB will be here tomarrow and they recomend using LME in a month or less, which is no problem, but I would like to get 5 more kits before the sale runs out Sunday. I will probably brew them right away because I'm trying to get about a ten keg reserve. If I did want to keep them for more than a month does anyone know how to preserve LME. I thought about freezing it or canning it in mason jars like honey or molasses. I don't figure on keeping them much more than a month, then it will be nice enough weather to AG.

I found a good article on storing your brewables:

Liquid malt syrup that has been opened, or is sold in bulk plastic containers, has a much shorter shelf life. While buying malt syrup in this form is normally less expensive, it must be used in less than 3 months, or the syrup will degrade or even grow mold. If you have malt syrup in this form, the best way to store it is in the fridge. Pick the smallest possible container to eliminate airspace and avoid oxidation. While the extremely high sugar content inhibits yeast activity and molding, over a three- to four-month time period the syrup will lose its freshness.

http://***********/stories/article/indices/38-ingredients/1394-shelf-life-storing-your-ingredients

Back