Min Qty of Honey for Flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
I have a 5g hard lemonade batch that is nearing completion. It started about 1.09 and is now close to 1.015. It was a simple (10 cans of concentrate, 2kg of dextrose, champagne yeast recipe)

I plan to kill fermenation and force carb in a keg soon. I do not want it to get too sweet, but would like a hint of honey.

Question1:
Can anyone recommend a type and an approximate addition of honey? I will tune it later, but would like a ballpark to start with.

Question2:
My understanding is that I would boil the honey in a small qty of water (maybe 1:1) and mix it into the carboy. Anything fancy required?

I can't answer your full question but consensus around seems to be get the honey to 170-180 to pasteurize it but don't boil it to retain the honey flavor. Just fyi, 1# honey in 1 gallon of water gets you 1.035

Just looking for a ballpark on the qty of honey.... no set recipe or attempt to mimic any particular flavor.

Can you taste..... 0.12lbs, 0.25 lb, 0.5lb, 1lbs, 2lbs, 4lbs... in 5 gallon?

Back