rookie question: yeast has been significantly active...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w-sqaured

Reaction score
i pitched some white labs yeast into my plastic primary last tuesday (8/11/09), and it took around 36 hours to begin burping. after a good 8 hours of burping, i needed to rig up a blow-off tube, as it went strong. i ran the blow-off tube into a sanitized bottle, which was overflown with foam and liquid by the following morning. i saw a slack in activity through the tube after 5 days, and moved to glass secondary. i've had steady burping for 3.5 days now, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. am i being impatient? let it go? or, do i need to do something to slow it down? carboy is in my closet at about 70-72 degrees...can't get much cooler in my apt. sorry for the rookie question, thanks for any help!

The yeasties know what to do. Don't worry about it. Let them finish. :mug:

I am kind of new to this, so wait for confirmation that I am right... I think you want to wait to transfer to the secondary until your fermentation is pretty much done. You need a hydrometer reading that stays the same for 3 days to know.

That being said, I don't think it is going to hurt your beer too much since it is obviously still chugging along, despite the transfer to the secondary. Let it go and do its thing. It takes time. Patience is good (I need more of it too :))

Back