Dead Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a california common which was in secondary for 3-4 months. I used my kegerator for the first time in a few years instead of bottling. Things were fine for a week or so but then I ran out of pressure. I testing the corny for leaks but couldn't find any when I first set it up. It might have simply ran out of CO2, and I could just get more CO2. But if there's something wrong with the regulator or keg, I don't want to waste the money on more CO2 and then also have to buy whatever to get that fixed.

To make a long story short (too late), I'll gladly bottle what's left. There's no pressure left in the keg so I'll have to bottle the standard gravity way, however what do I have to do about carbonation. Should I just add sugar? Will there be enough yeast left at this point? Or should I add some more yeast as well? If so, do I need to add a whole pack or will that be too much?

Thanks,
Andy

So how much pressure was in the CO2 bottle when you first hooked it to the keg? I suppose if you have a single gauge reg you'd have no idea, but this would help tell you if you just ran out of gas or not.

I think you should just do get your CO2 refilled. I mean, you almost answered your own question - if you haven't used the kegs in a few years (presumably there was wear on the keg system before then) then it definitely sounds like you've got a CO2 issue. I wouldn't consider a once-every-three-years $21 (MUCH cheaper, some places) refill cost as to be wasting money by any tight-wallet'ed perspective.;)

Fill up the gas....or I'll pay for shipping for all your unused keg equipment!!!! :D

Back