It finally happened...Mr. Beer Strikes Again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I work at Bass Pro Shops and to my surprise Mr. Beer is now gracing our shelves in the camping department right next to that $230 Margaritaville blender...Oh well, at least its expose to the homebrew world. I'm sure a lot of you guys started with Mr. Beer.

That is all.

I dig one kit, loved it, moved straight to extract with grains and then to AG, within two month was kegging. All in less thn a total of 4 months. Now have a total of 11 kegs and 5 are full and conditioning, doingg 3 batches this weekend.

I was at the home brew store the other week and a guy comes in and asks for a Mr. Beer kit and the guy says they do not carry it and explained very nicely he can make better beer in larger batches for roughly what 2 gallons of Mr. Beer costs to make. The guy got pissed and said NO i want a Mr. Beer kit, the store guy said well try Target cause we dont carry that here and the guy got even more pissed and said this a brew store so you should carry it. The store guy said but Mr Beer is not beer in our opinion, have a good day.

I thought it was funny and it just baffled me how pissed this guy who wanted his Mr Beer kit got.

I was at the home brew store the other week and a guy comes in and asks for a Mr. Beer kit and the guy says they do not carry it and explained very nicely he can make better beer in larger batches for roughly what 2 gallons of Mr. Beer costs to make. The guy got pissed and said NO i want a Mr. Beer kit, the store guy said well try Target cause we dont carry that here and the guy got even more pissed and said this a brew store so you should carry it. The store guy said but Mr Beer is not beer in our opinion, have a good day.

I thought it was funny and it just baffled me how pissed this guy who wanted his Mr Beer kit got.

It goes like this:

Guy has a friend who has made beer with Mr. Beer. Tastes ok.
This guy now decides he wants to make his own beer.
He goes out looking for $40 beer kit.
Finds Homebrew store and expects to get Mr. Beer for $40.
He's told he can make better beer for a $100 kit (plus ingredients).
Guy thinks the store owner just wants to rip him off by making him buy more than he needs.
Guy goes to Target steaming mad and buys a Mr. Beer kit.
Guy makes Mr. Beer. Likes it and starts reading up on it.
Guy finds numerous posts about upgrading to a full beer kit from store.
Guy goes to store and buys Buckets, hydrometer, hoses, thermometer, airlocks, etc. and starts in on the new obsession.

Well, that's one way it could turn out. Of course he could also buy a Mr. Beer and screw it up and decide to never make his own again. :D

Mr Beer is like a 16 year old girl. If I never had one when was younger, I would never have got started on the path to being the man I am today.

PS 16 is legal in the UK, even though I lied because she was actually 15.....But that's not the point here.

Mr Beer is like a 16 year old girl. If I never had one when was younger, I would never have got started on the path to being the man I am today.

PS 16 is legal in the UK, even though I lied because she was actually 15.....But that's not the point here.

I had actually typed a response, but discretion somehow kicked in and I deleted it.

I started with Mr. Beer too, but my result was so horrible that I didn't try brewing again for almost 5 years, and when I did It was partial boil extract kits.

Mr. Beer was not a positive experience for me.

Mr Beer is evil incarnate. It hooks you into the brewing hobby and forces you to buy better gear!

Bastard did the same to me. I have to finish out the Mr Beer stuff I have. But during that time I will read up and collect my equipment for AG.

Mr Beer is evil incarnate. It hooks you into the brewing hobby and forces you to buy better gear!

Bastard did the same to me. I have to finish out the Mr Beer stuff I have. But during that time I will read up and collect my equipment for AG.

See? Mr Beer is a force for good! He is just cunningly disguised as the drunk uncle at your wedding so that he can work his ultimate magic! :)

The store guy said but Mr Beer is not beer in our opinion, have a good day.

Oh, really?!?!?!

I guess I'll go ahead and drink a couple liters of it and take my wheels for a spin.

"NO, Occifer, I am NOD drunk...it was Mister BEER you see and apparently that doesn't not...doesn't...not...AAAAAaack...doesn't count!"

I ended up at Austin Homebrew and bought my starter kit after seeing a Mr. Beer kit at a shopping mall. Seeing it there in the store brought back memories of the horrible failures I had with mine, so it got me looking around to see how I could do it right. I headed over to the biggest beer shop in town, asked for the beer guy, and asked him where to go for homebrew supplies.

The rest is history...

Back