It's summer vacation! what should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
although summer is the worst season to brew (especially in Israel, its HOT!) ,
it's the only time I'm not ultra busy. (I'm a student)

So...
I have about two months to brew supply for the upcoming year.
I'll might be able to make a few batches during the year, but this year I ran out, since I didn't plan well enough. I had to BUY beer !

there is no HBS that sells liquid yeast in Israel , so someone brought me two packs from the US : white labs 570 (belgian golden strong ale)
and wyeast ESB .

I think I'll make a bitter, and reuse the yeast for a strong IPA. (I ferment in a fridge)
I want to make a small batch to step up the 570 yeast for a Duvel clone , but I'm not sure what beer this should be. what beers will fit with this yeast around 5% ABV ?

Any other ideas what to do with these yeast?

First and foremost I would recommend looking at washing your yeast.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/
You should be able to make up around 3 bottles per initial batch and you can go a few generations that way. Should last you for the year.
I use plastic soda bottles well cleaned and sanitized, and add some cooled light wort before I fill up the bottles for storage in the fridge. All I do is take them out when I start brewing, and degass and shake during the 4+ hours and I have well aerated and healthy yeast to pitch.
As for what to brew, you have to plan for a whole school year so the question is what do you like.
In any case, have fun and good luck.

Back