Yeast smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
Got my wyeast in mail and it's a little expanded already but the smack packet isn't broke open and I can't break it because bag is inflated to much...ughh

Is everything ok? Or do I need to smack it somehow?

yeah, they'll inflate a bit as soon as they get warm. still try to smack the nutrient pack if you can, but no worries if you can't, just pitch the yeast into your starter and toss the nutrient pack out.

i never do starters...any other way to make this work without a starter?

not to be that guy, but you should when using liquid. but yeah, it'll work fine either way, it's just one pack is an under pitch for most any beer.
i've had swollen packs and just had to work a bit to get the nutrient pack popped. or like JustLookin said, at pitch time, cut the pack and dump the nutrient in, that'll work.

was the nutrition pack inflated or they actually smackpack? I had a case where the nutrient pack inside the smack pack was inflated. I emailed Wyeast and they said it was 100% fine and sometimes yeast make their way into the nutrient pack causing it to expand.

Back