First Mead, lookin good so far!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rovert

Reaction score
So I tried this funny little milk jug mead... Had very low expectations. Started 9/8/12 till today and this little bastard has been bubbling like crazy!

image-2982509972.jpg

It's 3lbs honey, a large handfull of raisins and about a half of a huge orange I had layin around. I used a dry ale yeast also.. Just ran out and grabbed whatever I could get fast and cheap. I'm hoping it turns out good, I'm pumped! I do have one question however; at what age should I either bottle this or transfer to a secondary to clear? I'm getting quite a bit of build up on the bottom which I take is normal for a healthy mead- should I just leave it as is for 6 months or so? Thanks guys!

If you have a hydrometer, when the gravity reading has remained the same for 3 days.

For that recipe just let it sit 3+ months until the fruit falls. Should be crystal clear. Siphon off into bottles, age another 3 months and enjoy. Look up JAOM. It is basically the same thing you have there.

Thank you! just the answer I was looking for. I like this method I'm going to try another few in this same way- plus that frees up my carboys and brew gear for some yet to be made stout :)

Just a little update to those who are interested, I whipped up another milk jug worth today.. She's a blackberry & buckwheat honey. The color is crazy and it smells badass. I'm thinking I might just knock one of these out every month with different fruit and honey combos. It's pretty fun

image-356277261.jpg

Why do say? I'm curious. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm learning as I go. Only cost 15 bucks so if it sucks no big deal.

Buckwheat honey is a strong tasting honey. Most (myself included) think it won't make a good mead. The blackberry will cut it though, so that may be enough.

Did you taste the buckwheat honey? Did you enjoy the flavor?

I did actually, slightly on the strong side but over all not bad. But I see what you mean now that I think about it. Well- I'll let you know down the road how it turns out. I think my next one I'll use a wildflower honey, something a bit lighter

That's the thing about JAO type recipes, they often come good, but the non-honey ingredients do tend to mask some of the delicate honey taste.

I guess the take I have on these is a bit unique where I haven't ever had a mead before so I'm just sorta flyin by the seat of my pants. I sorta went into this mead thinking it'll be like a heavy hardy dark sipping thing. I'm not sure how a mead is supposed be so I'm just throwing stuff together and seeing what I get.

A bump for a new year- the blackberry has a great color and ill be transferring today so I'm excited for that. The bummer however is that my first mead jug actually split near the plug and I found it full of fruit flies :( so I decided not to make anymore till I find out how good the blackberry is.

Back