Foaming all over the place!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisyfraggle

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to brewing, on my 8th batch, if you include my wine. Anyway hubby got ingredients to make a Chimay Red, and they gave us a liquid Belgian ale yeast, and today the lid on the fermentor is bowed upwards, with beer oozing out the airlock and some out the lid. Do we let it go or do something? It's our first experience like this.

Take off the airlock and put a blowoff tube on it. If you don't you'll be sorry and have a lot of cleanup to do. Exploding fermenters are never fun!

Yeah, sounds like you need to relieve some pressure. Take the airlock out and have a towel ready in case you have a gusher through the airlock hole. Put on blow off tube or just wait until the most active fermentation is done and reinstall cleaned and sanitized airlock. If it 'splodes on ya, post pics. Those are always fun.

If you do not have access to a blow off tube rig, do you have a second air lock?

If so, clean and sanitize it, put your vodka in, and swap it out with the one thats filled with beer.

If not, take a paper towel, sanitize it, remove the air lock, place the paper towel over the fermentor where the air lock sits, clean and sanitize your air lock, refill with vodka, and reinstall onto the fermentor. :mug:

If you do not have access to a blow off tube rig, do you have a second air lock?

If so, clean and sanitize it, put your vodka in, and swap it out with the one thats filled with beer.

If not, take a paper towel, sanitize it, remove the air lock, place the paper towel over the fermentor where the air lock sits, clean and sanitize your air lock, refill with vodka, and reinstall onto the fermentor. :mug:

And prepare to do this every hour or so for the next 1-2 days?????

The pressure needs to be released soon! You could just lift the lid enough to break the seal so the pressure escapes or do what Cacaman said. If you break the seal on the lid Leave it on the bucket but not sealed down during the next day or two. The CO2 being produced will protect the fermenting wort from oxygen. What temp are you fermenting at?

Thanks for all of the advice! I put in a blowoff tube for several hours, we are fermenting at about 68-70°. Once it stopped sending foam through the blowoff tube, I waited another hour or so then reattatched the cleaned out valve. Doing great since then, thanks again for the help!

Back