$150 Gift Cert - What to Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Alright guys, its been a while since I've had much time at all to put into brewing or even thinking about brewing.

But, I'm excited to say that I now have some down time and I'm jumping back in.

So the question: I have a $150 gift certificate to Austin Home brew and I want to know what the best use for the money would be. I have only done Partial Mashes and would like to get into all grain sooner rather than later.

Here are the main parts to my set up right now:

• 1, Stainless steel 5 gallon pot
  • 1, Propane Burner
  • 1, Bottle Tree
  • 1, Poly Bottling Bucket
  • 1, 6 Gallon, Glass Primary Fermenter
  • 1, 5 Gallon, Glass Secondary Fermenter
Thanks guys! Look forward to the advice!

1) Wait for the AHS sale in your state.
2) You need a bigger pot (10gal ish), an MLT, and a wort chiller for AG and you are set.

You probably can't get all 3 for $150, but if you add $50 extra you can probably get all 3 from AHS

I go right along with Parker. However, you can get your MLT at your friendly, neighborhood big box hardware store, Wally World-type store, Academy, or similar joint. Save your gift certificate for stuff you get at AHS.

Also, I strongly (STRONGLY) recommend going with Better Bottles for your fermenters. I know that'll run you another $60ish, but it is money well spent. Holding a hot gift certificate in your hands just might be a good reason to splurge in such a manner.

TL

If you are handy, then consider:

1. Bigger kettle (Turkey fryer and get a second burner if you aren't concerned about SS)
2. Wort Chiller (can build a copper IC for less than $50 I think)
3. Mash Tun (Don't know what they cost at a supply shop, but you can build one pretty cheap and easy)
4. Autosiphon It's a lifesaver!
5. Bottling wand If you bottle and don't have one
6. Grain crusher If you are serious about All Grain, then this item can save you money when you buy bulk grain. Plus you can customize your crush and get max efficiency. Expensive though and use most of your budget.

There's probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting.

Sales for the states! I hadn't even seen that AND they haven't done my state yet! Great Tip!

I have been thinking about doing Better Bottles as well. But I really want to get a bigger pot - what are the thoughts on the SUPER swanky BoilerMaker vs. an Economy SS? Should I use the gift cert to just soften the cost of a BoilerMaker? or are they over the top? (Hell, right now I don't even know what the extra features would be good for!)

Thanks!

I'd love an expensive kettle with thermometer and drain built right in, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra $$ or would you rather spend on some of the other stuff.

Better Bottles are nice, but you may be able to look around and find some PETE plastic bottles somewhere for cheap. I get them at work from our water dispensers. Some of them are PETE and the price is $4 deposit.

At any rate, a bigger pot and some form of MLT are necessary IMO. On sale a turkey fryer might be found for as cheap as $40. yeah, not as nice as SS kettle, but usable.

If you are handy, then consider:

4. Autosiphon It's a lifesaver!
5. Bottling wand If you bottle and don't have one

There's probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting.

Got em!

As far as a grain crusher, I'm probably not serious enough JUST yet - looking to get the basic all grain equip first.

Thinking I can easily make a MLT...so its sounding like a chiller and a pot are what I should be looking at.

Latest posts

Back