Dang, Lame, Silly, Stinky, Yucky bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am on my 4th batch since I went to a bottling bucket and filler and can't get it to not leak. I attach the tubing to the spigot on the bottling bucket, then the other end to my crappy spring loaded filler then open the spigot. My beautiful (and sticky) wort runs down the side of the tube and leaks out the bottom of the filler as well before I press the bottom into the bottle. So I ended up just tilting the bottle to the side and using the spigot. I want to be more gentle...that's why I bought the filler in the first place. Am I doing something wrong? I have tried smaller tubing, but it won't fit over the spigot.

Where is it leaking?
Is it leaking at the bucket/ spigot connection? try tightening the spigot down. Hot water in hte bucket for a bit will make this easier.
If it is leaking at the spigot/ hose connection try the smaller hose again. You can heat the hose in hot water first to make it more pliable.
Is it leaking at the hose filler connection? See above.
If it is leaking from the filler it self you could try pushing the tipp on harder, or pull it off, something may not be sitting right.

Bottling wands are awesome and wonderful things, but the on time I tried bottling with the wrong sized hose was an absolute ****ing nightmare.

I'll try heating the hose, that may help, but it seems like I should not have to do that every time. It was leaking where I attach the hose to the spigot when not filling, and the hose to filler and the end of the wand (while not filling) while the spring looked seated.

My wand uses 3/8 " tubing and when I first started using it I had to warm it up a bit so that it would easily fit over the connections on the wand and spigot. After a couple of uses it slids over easy and tight. I would try the hot water on the smaller tube to see if that helps.

Back