Yeasty Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetbs

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've finished my first batch of beer but the final taste doesn't seem to fit in with the IPA family it was meant to. The brew has a hot taste at first (this I'm concluding is the result of fermentation at about 75 degrees for the first 5 days before my basement cooled down...). This alone is disappointing, but apart from this hot flavor, the beer smells and tastes pretty yeasty... Could this be related to the high fermentation temp? Or do other factors sometimes lead to this result?

Also, the beer seems to leave an odd coating on the mouth for a bit... Not very clean like a 'normal' beer.

Lastly, the flavor of the beer kind of dies right away. This is almost the only reason I can drink it though... Because the hot flavors are suddenly gone... But what could lead to it having a short life on the pallet?

Here are the ingredients:

Mutton's IPA Bitter can
1lb of Mutton's DME
1 oz. Centennial Pellet Hops (used for dry hopping directly in the carboy in secondary fermentation)

Waited 8 days to rack to secondary. Secondary lasted about 5 weeks before bottling. Now have bottled for just over 2 weeks. Carbonation is strong.

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.008

Any other info needed to help answer the question?

Thanks!

-Ben

The hot flavor..probably fusel alcohol from the hot fermentation. Was the 75F the actual temp in the fermentation vessel or air temp in the room?

The yeasty flavor...are you chilling your beers for a few days before opening? You may just have a lot of yeast in there and chilling it longer could help it drop out. Or you could be getting more off flavor from the hot ferment.

Slick mouthfeel can be diacetyl, also could be from the high temps.

In short, get those temps down. When I got my fermentation fridge/chamber built, I noticed a HUGE improvement in flavor. You'll be able to get a lot cleaner beer.

You'll read it here on these forums and in books and on other websites a lot, but yeast will have the biggest impact on flavor. Do yourself an enormous favor and believe it early on. Make it a priority and your beer will be much better much sooner. Fermentation temperatures and correct pitching rates are key.

Back