Did not refrigerate yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drama

Reaction score
I got my homebrew kit and beer kit about a week ago and just got around to getting everything out and ready to do my first brew today. I just read on the beer kit sheet that the dry yeast should be thrown in the refrigerator upon arrival...

Is my yeast ok to brew with or do I need to purchase new yeast since it has been sitting in the box for a week? We keep our apartment relatively cool (71-74 F).

Thanks!

It should be fine. My LHBS has it out on the shelve and I have never had a problem.

i have never put my dry yeast in the frige, as it sits out on the shelf at the LHBS. i do toss my hops in the fridge though.....maybe i will start putting my yeast in fridge too.....any temperature range that it should not go below?

i have never put my dry yeast in the frige, as it sits out on the shelf at the LHBS. i do toss my hops in the fridge though.....maybe i will start putting my yeast in fridge too.....any temperature range that it should not go below?

I don't know the numbers, but I believe the 'Use by' date is base on storage at room temperatures and the time to about 50% viability. If stored at fridge temperatures, it will loose about 4% viability; will keep over 10 years before it gets down to 50% viability.

Someone else might know, but i believe dry yeast can be stored in a freezer without any damage.

Back