Leaky lid and fermenting 24hrs later, need timing tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the mistake of using a lid that was not air tight, after brewing on Sunday night at 9pm. I was able to cool my wort, rehydrate & pitch the yeast (80F) and find a cool dark place (68F-72F) for my fermentation.

After 24 hours (Monday 9pm), I did not see any fermentation activity in the airlock (I know I should depend on the hydrometer), so I checked the lid and it was not airtight (I could smell my brew around the edges and did the "airlock test" by pushing down on the lid of the fermenter).

I decided to swap lids and now have a secure tight fitting lid on top of the fermenter.

This morning 9am (36hours later) I see fermentation activity in the airlock.. about 1 bubble every 20 seconds.

What should be my next steps to getting this brew back on track?
Better Brew
English Brown Ale
SG: 1.045 - 1.049

The reading I took after pitching the yeast was 1.040.

1.) Wait for fermentation to slow down, take a hydrometer reading and transfer to a secondary as planned based on the range.

2.) Forget about transferring to a secondary and leave it in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling?

Other Questions:
Do you think the introduction of oxygen during the first 24hours killed off most of the yeast?

Is this beer going to have a lower alcohol content? but otherwise will be fine?

Thanks in advance, great forum overall.

Your beer is on track. RDWHAHB.

All of my primaries leak around the lid. No biggie.

Wait a week or so, take a reading. When the reading doesn't change over a day interval, and you are near your target FG then the beer is done fermenting.

If you don't need to transfer to a secondary (i.e. adding anything at that point) I would just let her sit for 3 weeks.

Your leaky lid didn't introduce enough if any O2 to make a difference. There's a layer of CO2 at the top protecting the beer anyhow.

Your beer will be fine.

Don't worry.

Plus, yeast NEED oxygen at the beginning of the process so that they can reproduce and build up enough cells to getthe job done.

So what if you have a leak and the airlock isn't bubbling and...It's no big deal...The airlock is merely a vent, to keep from painting the ceiling with your precious brew. So if the excess co2 is getting out elsewhere, then that is fine as well.

Many people don't even do a lid/airlock combination, instead they use a piece of plexiglass on the bucket, or tinfoil.

The co2 cushions and protects your beer, and if it is getting out, it is also preventing anything from getting in. I have 9 fermenters, and have been brewing for years and have only airlock bubbling about half the time, and that is spread over buckets, carboys, water bottles, etc. And I have never had an issue.

Don't sweat airclock activity, lack of it, or leaks. You will be fine.

And Walker's Av is just so disturbing

Back