Advice on building a Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hey guys I am going to build a Kegerator and I just wanted some advice. Over all I going to update my all grain technique and I also want to build a fermenting chamber with a freezer. I have read that temperature control over kegging is much better but if i build a kegerator i will shortly build a chamber. I have been looking on craigslist for refrigerators and there are so many each day, as i live in san diego a big city. The question i have is what type of refrigerator I should get. I want to get a older refrigerator because it is cheaper and seems that it would work the same as a brand new. I have been looking at refrigerators like this one. ( http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/1624343593.html ) I have also looked and there is the mini refrigerators. Is there any differance really? I think in the regular refrigerators you could fit one to two more kegs but i don't brew a lot at once. Is there any other pros and cons. I have plenty of space and that is not an issue because i am building my own living room in my garage and that is where i have all my brewing going on. Just wanted to hear your guys opinions. PS if anyone has a fridge to sell in san diego send me an email [email protected] but i am setting a limit at 150 for the fridge. Also any thoughts on the fermenter control as i want to use a freezer for it. I am willing to spend 350ish including the temperature controller I also want a chest freezer like this http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/1625695955.html. I would like advise on the kegerator but the fermentor would be nice too. Thanks

Full size fridge vs mini fridge is a space concern. Get bigger if you have room. YOu can store bottles/yeast/ hops in the extra room of a full size. If you go mini, mkae sure it doesn't have a freezer compartment.

For tempo controllers you can use Ranco, LOVE, Johnson Controls A419. All popular options here. You can buy the Ranco and Johnson models prewired. THe Love will give you a more professional,cleaner looking install. These can be used just as well with fridges and freezers a like. The option you choose between fridge, minifridge or freezer, just depends on what final style you want.

Back