Another Naked City Barrel Project!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
About 9 months ago I racked 15 gallons of Stix Red Ale into a side bung Sanke keg and added Brettanomyces Lambicus. I bunged the hole with a #10 stopper and oak dowel. I pulled a sample about a week ago and it is wonderfully sour. However, I think the Red Ale was a bit too hoppy to begin with. The beer has a bit of an unpleasant bitter after taste.

I decided to blend it with a bit of some Dubbel that my brewing partner and I recently brewed. It was awesome. :rockin: The sweetness of the Dubbel completely eliminated the bitter aftertaste while keeping the sourness intact.

Today I decided to blend the whole batch and rack it into my 15 gallon Cabernet barrel that previously held Grapes of Wrath. The barrel has been sitting with a solution of Sodium Metabisulphite and Citric Acid to inhibit bacterial growth and to keep it from drying out in between uses.

Here's what it looked like. :mug:

Figuring out the correct ratio for blending. Decided to go 2 parts Sour Red/1 part Dubbel
Barrel Project 004.jpg

Keg settling prior to transfer
Barrel Project 005.jpg

#10 stopper w/ oak dowel. Been sitting like this for 9 months
Barrel Project 008.jpg

Safety first! You do not want to breath the fumes from the Sodium Metabisulphite and Citric Acid while emptying the oak barrel
Barrel Project 011.jpg

Oak barrel has been emptied of sanitizing solution and rinsed thoroughly
Barrel Project 012.jpg

Oak dowel removed from the keg
Barrel Project 024.jpg

Transferring the Sour Red 5 gallons at a time
Barrel Project 018.jpg

...and into the barrel
Barrel Project 019.jpg

Once 10 gallons of Sour Red has been tranferred, in goes 5 gallons of Dubbel
Barrel Project 026.jpg

Attach an airlock and wait
Barrel Project 032.jpg

Not sure how long this beer will spend in the barrel. I'll draw a sample in a couple of weeks and periodically after that until I'm satisfied with the flavor profile.

Most of this will get bottled in 750ml Belgian bottles, corked and caged.

That is going to be another incredibly awesome beer. Again, we are not worthy....

Hardcore man. I would be interested to see how well the finished product resembles the mini blended sample.

I hope to get to this point with the home brewery some day.

You are my hero. What's the batch size at Naked City?

EDIT: I now notice a home in the background, and remembered that you're still setting up the brewery space. Question withdrawn; you're still my hero.

I likey! I really need to try making a sour beer at some point, not because I especially like them but because I can.

That looks so fun. As always, you make me want to get to Seattle soon.

BTW, just so you don't think I'm fickle, you were already my hero before you did this. :)

If it turns out anything like Grapes of Wrath did it then you may have found your calling in special blended soured beers.

I just kegged 8 gallons of this beer today and bottled 2 cases in 750ml corked bottles. Just shy of 2 months in the barrel after aging 9 months with the oak dowel. It really tastes great. Pleasantly sour and slightly acidic. Smells like Cantillon which is awesome!

Now what to call it? I know one thing for sure. The style will be American Wild Ale! :rockin:

Now what to call it? I know one thing for sure. The style will be American Wild Ale! :rockin:

I decided that this is the beer that will bear Gilda's name. Here is a pic of the bottle. (front & back) along with a glass pulled from the tap.

Gilda 2008 006.jpg

I know your offer to the first 10 HBT'ers to show up.....

But what is the availability of these bottles?

Back