New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iStout is an awesome beer!

I'm planning a big RIS with chocolate and chilli. Just need to do a couple of test batches first!

I had Mikkellers Texas Ranger at Hashigo the other night after beervana. That was some tasty stuff. Dried chipotle gives that spice and a little smoke, works well with the coffee.chocolate from the porter. Not hot but certainly a little underpinning heat.

Gidday guys, just saw this thread n thought i would join on in.
Been brewing for a couple of years but amped it over the last few months.
Living in the Naki and currently on a bit of a malt buzz.

Donmega I have just made what i think is a pretty sweet porter, will chuck the recipe up here when I get home for you to have a look at

Gidday guys, just saw this thread n thought i would join on in.
Been brewing for a couple of years but amped it over the last few months.
Living in the Naki and currently on a bit of a malt buzz.

Donmega I have just made what i think is a pretty sweet porter, will chuck the recipe up here when I get home for you to have a look at

Awesome thanks heaps., and welcome ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1 can black rock light extract

Steeping grains 30 mins
230g crystal
230gcaramunich t1
170g chocolate
57g uk black

Hops

30g pacific gem 60 min
10 g cascade 60 min
30g motueka 10 min
1 tsp irish moss

Gervin gv12 ale yeast

Og 1.046

Hop choice was based largely on what was in the fridge, but it is malt powered so they dont ruin it. I dare say porter wouldnt usually have late hop additions either?

Its the best beer ive made in all of my 5 or so brews anyway

Steeping grains 30 mins
230g crystal
230gcaramunich t1
170g chocolate
57g uk black

Hops

30g pacific gem 60 min
10 g cascade 60 min
30g motueka 10 min
1 tsp irish moss

Gervin gv12 ale yeast

Og 1.046

Hop choice was based largely on what was in the fridge, but it is malt powered so they dont ruin it. I dare say porter wouldnt usually have late hop additions either?

Awesome thanks heaps for posting will definitely put it on my to brew list..

Steeping grains 30 mins
230g crystal
230gcaramunich t1
170g chocolate
57g uk black

Hops

30g pacific gem 60 min
10 g cascade 60 min
30g motueka 10 min
1 tsp irish moss

Gervin gv12 ale yeast

Og 1.046

American Style Porters can do. I have a go-to porter which is throw a hefty addition of Centennial and amarillo in a Flamout. mmmm. get some nice fruity flavour to back up the dark malts. It's great.
PKB is a good example. Plenty of hop character in there.

So . . . . I got a order today.

And it seems they felt generous, hooked me up with a extra kilo of manuka smoked.

Never planed to brew with it. . . But now it's here! Suggestions on what it would work in?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So . . . . I got a order today.

And it seems they felt generous, hooked me up with a extra kilo of manuka smoked.

Never planed to brew with it. . . But now it's here! Suggestions on what it would work in?

What was the original plan?

What was the original plan?

Sorry.......made that sound weird!

I got supplies for a oatmeal stout. I'm brewing a bitter to use some ingredients first.

I did not order the smoked malt at all.

Now I have some....I wanna use it! Hahahaha

Sorry.......made that sound weird!

I got supplies for a oatmeal stout. I'm brewing a bitter to use some ingredients first.

I did not order the smoked malt at all.

Now I have some....I wanna use it! Hahahaha

Smoked Oatmeal Stout.
Use 1% smoked malt in there. Sounds awesome already :p

Baaaahahahaha 100% smoked malt? **** you dont mess around huh! Don't think im that adventurous lol.

Thinking about it the manuka flavour is very different from the usual US smoking woods. Could be interesting to explore what that flavour could go well with.....wish I had the ability to ferment more than one vessel at once! Haha

Baaaahahahaha 100% smoked malt? **** you dont mess around huh! Don't think im that adventurous lol.

Thinking about it the manuka flavour is very different from the usual US smoking woods. Could be interesting to explore what that flavour could go well with.....wish I had the ability to ferment more than one vessel at once! Haha

No space, or only 1 fermenter?

Only room in the fridge for one.........I couldn't go back to no temp control lol

haha, me either. rex is 100% Peated malt, Julie in the chch crew just did a Rex Clone, and boy was it good, and pretty damn close.
what sort of OG on your beer were you looking at?
a whole kilo of smoked would be fine, if youve got the base and specialties sorted.
aim for maybe 1.063/4
Speaking of which I really need to get into a smoked beer.

haha, me either. rex is 100% Peated malt, Julie in the chch crew just did a Rex Clone, and boy was it good, and pretty damn close.

what sort of OG on your beer were you looking at?

a whole kilo of smoked would be fine, if youve got the base and specialties sorted.

aim for maybe 1.063/4

Speaking of which I really need to get into a smoked beer.

Sweet! Yeah honestly I hadn't even thought of a style to start with yet. I was toying with a Schwartz, Octoberfest or rodenbach. But a small % smoked.

Or the obvious smoked porter.

Didn't need that hydrometer anyway, I, just throw it on the floor and see if it bounces!

Guess il have to buy a refractometer now:) haha

Refractometers aren't much use for FG as the alcohol messes with the reading, so you still need a hydrometer.

If you want to retire early, theres a fortune waiting for the inventor of the rubber hydrometer. Or maybe one made from transparent aluminium.

Refractometers aren't much use for FG as the alcohol messes with the reading, so you still need a hydrometer.

If you want to retire early, theres a fortune waiting for the inventor of the rubber hydrometer. Or maybe one made from transparent aluminium.

Yeah I know, but geez refractometers are just, well, cool! Haha. I know the equations for taking that into account are not supper accurate .....how far out are they though? Like one point? .... 10 points? Because let's face it with the hydrometer I had I was onl accurate to about 1-2 points anyway.

I was thinking more like a closed system. Tempered glass on the out side, hydrometer contained within. Kinda the same idea as the ones that stick to the inside aquariums. A enclosed system, you tip a sample into.

So after all the first time biab issues I had with my ipa last Monday, I finally got round to dry hopping it tonight.. Boy does it smell a whole lot nicer than the kit brews.... Anyhow went to take a hydro reading and noticed the bottom of the plastic fermenter is a couple of inches deep in stuff... This stopping the beer from coming out.. (Messy **** does)

Will now need to transfer to secondary then cold crash it.. Is this common ?? Or is it a sign I mucked up further !! :) ps one of the boys pulled the plug out so temp dropped to 15 degrees for 12 hrs approx... I will persist ;)

So after all the first time biab issues I had with my ipa last Monday, I finally got round to dry hopping it tonight.. Boy does it smell a whole lot nicer than the kit brews.... Anyhow went to take a hydro reading and noticed the bottom of the plastic fermenter is a couple of inches deep in stuff... This stopping the beer from coming out.. (Messy **** does)

Will now need to transfer to secondary then cold crash it.. Is this common ?? Or is it a sign I mucked up further !! :) ps one of the boys pulled the plug out so temp dropped to 15 degrees for 12 hrs approx... I will persist ;)

Nah dude don't stress the trub, why are you going to have to transfer man?

How many days into fermentation was the plug pulled?

Nah dude don't stress the trub, why are you going to have to transfer man?

How many days into fermentation was the plug pulled?

The trub has covered my outlet for the tap on my fermenter so I will burn thru a fair bit of beer before it runs clear at bottling time, also I can't get an accurate reading due to the trub mix in the hydro.. Don't want to have to buy a syphon !! Might force my hand to bulk prime aye ! ?

The trub has covered my outlet for the tap on my fermenter so I will burn thru a fair bit of beer before it runs clear at bottling time, also I can't get an accurate reading due to the trub mix in the hydro.. Don't want to have to buy a syphon !! Might force my hand to bulk prime aye ! ?

Get a Siphon, worth its weight in gold. You can also use it to transfer into your fermenter, to avoid so much trub.
when you chill down, let it settle for 30 mins or so and siphon offthe top, I'm nor mally getting 1-2 litres at most of trub in to the fermenter nowadays.
I've actually got 2 siphons now, one for brett and one for everything else.....

Yeah have to agree on the siphon front!

I use it for everything! The way i see it every time you transfer there are two problems. Contamination and oxidisation. The syphon is a closed system and much more gental on the beer (filling from the bottom etc).

I even use it to bottle now. It rocks! Put the bottling tube on the end of it, can line all my bottles up on the ground and dont have to handle em at all. Fills from e bottom of each bottle! And I never have to worry about the trub getting in the way of the spigot. So I basically don't need to transfer until i go to the bottling bucket. It's nice!

Thanks for the advice guys... Appreciate it :)?

Might add it to my Father's Day list !! This year I am getting a copper wort chiller, weld less thermometer and a brew (went with brown ale)

Think my wife got annoyed with the brew in the bath lol

I have brewed a 100% peated beer with only bittering hops, it was really good and I've just today ordered a kilo of the manuka to do a small batch 100% manuka smoked beer trial which I'll brew this weekend. I'll get a whole sack of it when Brewers Coop up here in AKL gets it but wanted to play in the mean time. I'll use it to do a manuka Whisky as well.

Oh and I dry hopped a very small bit of the peated beer.. It was terrible.
Hops and peat don't mix, well at least the hops I used

I have brewed a 100% peated beer with only bittering hops, it was really good and I've just today ordered a kilo of the manuka to do a small batch 100% manuka smoked beer trial which I'll brew this weekend. I'll get a whole sack of it when Brewers Coop up here in AKL gets it but wanted to play in the mean time. I'll use it to do a manuka Whisky as well.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm manuka whiskey

Oh and I dry hopped a very small bit of the peated beer.. It was terrible.
Hops and peat don't mix, well at least the hops I used

Yeah . . . I cant really imagine smoke plus big hop character going well, perhaps if you went supper earthy and spicy type hops. . . . Bt yeah I would guess more late addition than dry hop.

Pretty pumped some one else is playing around with this! I have the next two brews planned but il have to check in with you after that and see how it's going and cash in on your hard work hahaha!

Yeah . . . I cant really imagine smoke plus big hop character going well, perhaps if you went supper earthy and spicy type hops. . . . Bt yeah I would guess more late addition than dry hop.

Pretty pumped some one else is playing around with this! I have the next two brews planned but il have to check in with you after that and see how it's going and cash in on your hard work hahaha!

Yeah absolutely, I'll let you know.

I won't be doing the boil in the kitchen like I did when I did the peated one, although my wife wasn't too upset about the pungent bacon aroma hanging around for 3 days. That was when I was still doing partials or only small batch all grains so I didn't have another burner.

So after the nightmare of my first biab I have today ordered a smash brew in addition to the wort chiller and thermometer the kids are giving my on Sunday... I will not be beaten :) I have no idea of what abv the first batch will be (not to fussed) but I have started to read about efficiency... I am trying not to confuse myself to much !!

Is their an easy to use calculator for Nz measurements ??

So after the nightmare of my first biab I have today ordered a smash brew in addition to the wort chiller and thermometer the kids are giving my on Sunday... I will not be beaten :) I have no idea of what abv the first batch will be (not to fussed) but I have started to read about efficiency... I am trying not to confuse myself to much !!

Is their an easy to use calculator for Nz measurements ??

Hi man, yeah dont let it beat you!!

I just went through getting it all sorted in my mind as well. It's kinda hard to get started, but once you start to get it all starts to make sense.

Do you have a way to read the specific gravity of your wort? A hydrometer or a refractometer?

As for the calculations it's a pain in the ass having to convert everything to american units huh! I would say it depends on exactly what you need, what you personally like and how much $$$ you want to spend on software. In saying that you can find most calculators free and online.

I'm not a experienced brewer dude......but I am a geek when it comes to software etc. so if you want to discuss any of it give me a PM.

Brewersfriend.com is the calculator I use, and find it pretty bloody handy alround.

My biab first attempt came out at 65% with a batch sparge but not squeezing the bag, which should raise the efficiency to 70 or so. It was also milled fairly roughly.
Im also moving to a smash brew using pale ale and cascade, getting my grain from the brew house as they have a special, and gave requested the grain be double milled.

Off to see the ab's this weekend though so the beer will have to wait a week. :(

Yeah sorry i just realised how yoda like my rant was hahaha.

I have tried beersmith, beeralchemy, promash, ibeermaster, beer recipee calculator and fermenticus.

I have decided to use beeralchemy and ibrewmaster togeather. But like i said I think its kinda a personal thing.

Beeralchemy and beersmith (and I think promash) do free trials on PC and mac. Grab those and have a play:)

Back