Quaker stout missing it's FG mark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MgMt_Home_Brew

Reaction score
So I made a Quaker stout:
6 lbs amber LME
2 lbs Dark DME
.75 lbs English Crystal malt
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.25 lbs black patent malt
.5 lbs roasted barely
1 lbs rolled oats

My original gravity was 1.071 which was on mark but my gravity reading that i took the other day was 1.026 when the recipe called for 1.018 to 1.022.

It has been in the primary for 3 weeks and I did not make a starter. I used liquid yeast WY1084 and a packet of dry yeast that my LHBS said matched the Irish Ale yeast.

I was planning on moving it to a secondary and leaving it there for at least 3 more weeks. Am I being paranoid? Do you think the yeast is still working and will drop the gravity down to my target? Or is my yeast all done and I need to agitate it or give it some more?

As always thanks for the advice guys :mug:

3 weeks should be enough time. wyeast liquid plus a packet of dry yeast should be enough for a wort of that gravity. 1.026 isn't a bad gravity for a sweet stout, and it's awfully close to your target. you're at 71% attenuation which is the low end of the range for 1084, and i don't think you (anyone) can do much better with all the extract. what temp did you ferment at? if you really want to give it a chance at dropping those few extra points leave it in primary, give it a rouse, and bump the temp up to 70-72. you won't do anything negative this late in the game, but i'd be pretty happy with it as is, IMO.

oops, i did the math wrong on that attenuation number. 64%, not 71%. still, hard to do better with all that extract. where did this recipe come from? i'm surprised it has you using all amber and dark extract.

I found it here: BYO - 20 Great Extract Recipes

It tastes pretty damn good so far

I have been keeping it around 68-70 degrees. I think I will just put it in the secondary and let it be.

It looks good- thick and "chewy" would be my guess, too.

I checked out the link and the recipe called for licorice stick. You left that out I assume? (I'm a licorice hater, so I would have left it out myself).

No I left licorice in but i just didn't post it in my original post. I took it out after the boil though because the guy at the LHBS said that it would add a big licorice smell if I left it in. I'm not a but licorice fan either but I just wanted to follow the recipe this time around.

Back