Bottling a wood aged stout, do I need fresh yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
I brewed a strong stout back in November that started out at 1.077 using a nice starter of 1272 American Ale II and at transfer to secondary after fermenting in the low 60s for three weeks was 1.021. I transferred to secondary on top 2 oz. medium toast oak cubes, soaking in one cup of bourbon. I plan to take a few consecutive gravity reading coming up in a few weeks after the beer has been on the oak for roughly 60 days. If I hit my target FG then my ABV should be around 8%. My question and concern is whether or not I need to add yeast to a beer that has been fermenting/bulk conditioning for about three months before bottling? Will there be enough viable yeast, or should I add some fresh 1272? The only time I have had problems with carbonation was when brewing a 13.4% beer. After six months it is finally starting to carbonate. I do plan on aging this beer for 6+ months before I drink it, but I don't want to drink flat beer then either. Any suggestions?

You're sort of on the borderline. The beer will definitely carb as is but may take a very long time. Re-yeasting will not hurt anything if you choose to do so.

I plan to age this beer for quite some time before I drink it, so I wouldn't mind a long slow conditioning. The problem is long term storage is in the mid to upper 50s right now. That temp is too low to condition at, I think. Perhaps I should pitch fresh 1272 at bottling, condition in the closet at 70 degrees until the carbonation is where it should be, and then move to long term storage in the cooler basement? I did ferment this beer in the cold basement though, and it has attenuated well. I just don't want to crack one open next fall and find it flat.

Latest posts

Back