Ok got a few questions that we are just stuck on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighBrewer

Reaction score
me and fellow brewer Tasq, are trying to create a beer. We know what we want out of the beer but have no idea of how to go about it lol.

Trying to do a sour cherry dubbel, something along the lines of the Chatoe Rogue 1st Creek or Boulevard BBQ (obviously with out the bourbon barrel part). The BBQ is a bit too big, the 1st creek is a bit "thin". That part we can always work out....but its the sour cherry part thats really stumping us, especially in relation to when to add it, and how to bottle it.

I have read up on using tart organic cherry juice, and this seems like its easy enough. But, is this something we should be adding to boil? Or in secondary? Or even farther down the road as kind of a backsweeten type addition? Its not a "sour" beer, just has that sour cherry tartness.

Also, if this is added down the line....is this going to kick ferm back into full gear? If so do we add the juice before it finishes, and then wait for it to get down to FG completely? Our big concerns are obviously the flavor, and adding more yeast food and bottling too soon resulting in bombs.

Does this sound like a beer that would be better off adding the juice in after we are close to FG and then kegging instead of bottling so we can put it straight into the keezer to prevent further ferm??

Thoughts?

If you add the tart cherries to the secondary, yes it will kick up a secondary fermentation. I do this with a cream stout - the tart cherries add a nice layer of flavor.

To add it at bottling, you could make a potion - soak some tart cherries in vodka for month and add the vodka (not the cherries) to the bottling bucket or keg.

Back