can i save some slurry for later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaKid

Reaction score
I made a starter for my smack pack and all seems to be going ok. Tomorrow I plan on putting my slurry mix in the fridge for a little while before i pitch it so i can get rid of some of that starter wort. My question is can i save a portion of my slurry before i pitch as an alternative to trying to get some to save after primary fermentation? What is the best method for doing this?

Sure. Sanitize a jar (I clean then bake mine in the oven) and lid. Then just pour 1/4 of the slurry into the jar and refrigerate. You may want to leave a little bit of the starter wort so that it sits on top and protects your yeasties. You should be able to hold that for about a month to 6 weeks.

Im coming up on 24 hours for my starter but its still bubbling. Can i go ahead and put it in the refrigerator or would it be better to just pitch it when im ready (in about 8 hours). I dodnt want to mix the starter wort (or i guess its beer now) with my carboy for fear of affecting the taste. What do you guys do?

Latest posts

Back