Thoughts, suggestions on first batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromis

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to cider making and this forum as been a great resource for me. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions on my first two batches.

Batch A

5 x Gallons Indian Summer Cider
1 x 12 oz apple juice concentrate
1 x packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Initial gravity is pretty low at around 1.040

Should I add sugar, honey, more concentrate? I was hoping to get a semi dry cider with this batch and after I did a little research I found that I probably used the wrong yeast as the champagne has a pretty high attentuation. Im not sure what to do with this batch now, I'll probably have to age it for some time once its been through primary and secondary.

Batch B

3 x gallons Indian Summer Cider
16 x 12 oz apple juice from concentrate
2 lbs honey
1 x Nottingham Ale yeast

This batch was somewhat modeled after Brewfrick's "Panty Dropper". I had 3 leftover gallons of cider from my order so I figured why not start another batch? I made up the difference in concentrate (to get 5 gallons) and added organic honey. I went with the Nottingham in order in the hopes of getting a sweeter/ semidry cider. Did I overdo it on the concentrate? Is it going to be "jet fuel"? I've still got a gallon of room in the fermenting bucket so I could add more cider or water if neccessary to dilute it.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

What's the gravity on the second one? It's gotta be pretty high. I'd guess close to 1.100. I haven't used Nottingham in cider, so others will have a better idea of it's limits, but I would expect you will end with a fairly sweet cider.

1.090(!!!)
I'm realizing i kind of went overboard with the concentrate and honey. In hindsight i should have added the honey to batch A-- the concentrated juice was plenty of sugar for batch B.

I didnt post the SG earlier because the concentrate was still thawing. When I saw the hydrometer it was a holy $*@# moment!

I'm still considering adding honey or some type of sugar to batch A.

Back