Carb. Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Ok So i have my oktoberfest beer that has not carbonated yet. Its been about 12days and at a temp of about 55F. I used about 8oz of cornsugar for the 5gallon batch. If it doesn't carb. can i pop'em and re-carb them?
thanks guys

Its been about 12days and at a temp of about 55F.

That's why your beer's not carbed yet......

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

You used 8 ounces??? That's almost twice the amount we normally use for a 5 gallon batch. You won't need any more sugar, you need to prep for bottle bombs. You won't need to be worried about under carbed beers at all...maybe just some shrapnel.

Thanks bud, I got my batches mixed up I had 10gallon batch the I used 8oz for. I've had other 5gallon batches that carbed in the same amount of time and temp. Oh well thanks for answering the question and I will practice a little more paticence. New brewer and all

Back