Bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
Can anyone riddle me this? I'm looking at some grain to buy in bulk. I'm also seeing posts where people are getting their base malts for 70 cents per lb. most if my recipes call for Maris otter. The prices im finding for it is $1.89 per lb. Do most people substitute Something else for MO?

Find a local home brew shop and buy a 50 or 55lb sack and it'll be about a buck a pound for MO. You can get it shipped to your door for 79 bucks from fiftypoundsack.com, that's about as cheap as you can get something that heavy shipped to you if you don't have a LHBS. Locally, a 50 pound bag of 2-row will run 29-40 bucks or so.

I really appreciate the response. Is Maris Otter generally more expensive than 2 row or is it the same thing?

See if you can find a group buy to get in on, it can be a great way to get grain at a good price. I just bought a bag of MO for .70 a pound. Sometimes it can take awhile to get a buy filled, but the prices are worth the wait. Good luck and happy brewing.

Can anyone riddle me this? I'm looking at some grain to buy in bulk. I'm also seeing posts where people are getting their base malts for 70 cents per lb. most if my recipes call for Maris otter. The prices im finding for it is $1.89 per lb. Do most people substitute Something else for MO?

Where do you live? Maybe someone will have a suggestion for a place within a reasonable drive if you don't have a LHBS and you can avoid shipping fees.

Most (or at least the decent ones) homebrew clubs do at least two group grain buys a year. Join one in your area and get in on that. You can get MO at a MUCH better rate (under $1/#) that way.

The LHBS I use to frequent (in Marlboro, MA) would charge $20/10# bag of MO. :eek: Once I got involved in group buys, I swore to never pay anything even close to that again.

I would also look in the group buy section of the forums. Maybe there's one already being planned in your area (or close enough for you to get in on). You can also, most often, get other things during the group purchases. Cleaning chemicals, sanitizers, hops, wood, etc. are all typically available too.

Agreed that Pale Malt is a great option for the OP (and anyone) looking for a domestic base malt. I use Gambrinus Pale Malt in many beers.

Can't touch regular two row around here for under $50 a sack. Really wish I could get a group buy going.

Back