Stuck fermentation-warm up beer or pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom2365

Reaction score
Brewed a Brooklyn Brown a couple weeks ago. OG was 1.060. I usually rack into the secondary after 7-8 days if the airlock has stopped bubbling a lot. It had so I prepared to rack into the secondary, took a gravity reading and to my surprise it was only 1.036. So I let it sit 3 more days and took another reading today and it's only 1.034, so things are definitely stuck.

I ended up racking into the secondary today and noticed the thermometer on the secondary only read 64, whereas the one on the primary was reading 68-70. I'm thinking it got too cool for the yeast and that's why it got stuck. So my question is this: Should I just warm up the beer to 70 and see if the yeast gets going again or should I prep a little yeast starter from the yeast in the primary and pitch again? I've got both methods in process right now. I'd love to be able to get away with just warming up the beer.

I don't think many ale yeasts will stop at 64F. Was this an extract recipe or all grain? Which yeast did you use and did you make a starter? You can try warming it up and giving it a light swirl to get the yeast back in suspension and see. BTW...if the gravity dropped 2 points in 3 days, its not stuck, just slow. Racking to the secondary probably wasn't a very good idea either, now you've moved the beer off of most of the yeast. I've been very impressed with the beers I've been making leaving them in the primary for minimum 4 weeks and doing no secondary. Warm it up and see what you get.

Thanks for the reply. This was an all-extract brew. Yeast is Wyeast 1338 Euro ale that comes in the starter packet---so yes I guess it was a starter. First time I've used that type of yeast. It got going real fast after pitching so I was quite pleased with that.

Yes, I'm thinking racking into the secondary was not wise. I'm too stuck on my normal routine. I've never had a beer that wasn't at or near FG after 7-8 days in the primary. I'm warming now to see what happens. If it doesn't get going I'll get a starter going and pitch more yeast.

Yes, after racking to the secondary, warming to 70 and swirling it has gotten going again with regular bubbling in the air lock. Happened very quickly.

Now I've got these two nice starters bubbling away that I won't end up using. Oh well, it was a good first try at getting a starter going from the sediment of the primary.

Could I just throw the starters in the fridge to shut 'em down and keep until I brew next weekend? Assuming that 1338 is a good yeast for what I'm going to brew.

Latest posts

Back