Newbie having issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csramirez

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch ever on Sunday...English Pale Ale.

Yesterday (Monday) after about 27 hours of fermentation, I came home from work to find the lid clear across the room and krausen everywhere. I cleaned up, resealed and the airlock bubbled as it should.

Today (Tuesday) I came home after about 50 hours of fermentation. The airlock is dead. No action at all.

I'm not sure what I should do here. Wait it out and move to secondary on sunday? Or move it to secondary now?

Help would be appreciated.

I'm not the best person to suggest things but I have asked alot of the same questions like ours and time will tell I think just wait a bit and take a reading if it is different then the yeast is doing it's job. I hope you sanitized the lid again. I thought many time now the brew is dead and everyone here calms me down with the same answer just wait

When you took the airlock off to clean it, you voided out the excess co2, so the airlock doesn't need to vent any more. Because that's ALL and airlock is, it's a vent, a valve to release EXCESS co2 and to help keep beer off your ceiling. It's not a magical fermentation gauge. It doesn't matter whether it blips or not. Your beer is fine. It's fermenting away happily, as evidenced by your blowoff. It just doesn't need to bubble anymore since you released the pressure.

Also, I took a peek under the lid and there is no krausen to be seen. Is it possible that the open lid yesterday simply advanced fermentation?

You had a masive blowoff and your airlock got clogged. Just sanitize and replace.

Many on here do not secondary along with myself unless extended aging is required but if you want to secondary then by all means do it. It is your beer:mug:

Also, I took a peek under the lid and there is no krausen to be seen. Is it possible that the open lid yesterday simply advanced fermentation?

There's no such thing as "advanced fermentation" everything is fine, except you have noobitus, the incessent worry that comes with doing something new. We get a hundred threads like this a day, and it's all the same, you think an airlock means something, and like I said, it's just a vent, and you vented the fermenter when you opened it to clean.

Relax. Everything IS FINE!!!!!

The bulk of your fermentation has likely already occurred (hence the blowoff). I'd just let it be for a couple weeks at least and check your gravity reading. It's not uncommon for some beers to reach their FG in a short period of time. Even if it has reached FG, let it sit on the cake for awhile.

RDWHAHB

and do some searching on secondaries. You may want to reconsider transferring to a secondary at all unless you're making additions in the secondary... :rockin:

Back