Questions about ale yeast in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i went out and got all the ingredients to make 5 gallons of my cider recipe only to get home and then realize i was out of my go to cider yeast( Lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne White Wine Yeast). The only yeast i have on hand is s-04. My question is if i use the s-04 will it go dry. My only concern is that ive read a few places that it with stop short in cider sometimes leaving some sugar behind. If it does will i still be able to bottle carb?, or would the yeast be done and not carb the added sugar or would fermentation possibly kick back up and potentially eat all the remaining sugar and cause over carbonation/bottle bombs. Ive made many batches of cider before but always used a wine yeast and always got to 1.000 or lower. Any insight would be appreciated.

So i went out and got all the ingredients to make 5 gallons of my cider recipe only to get home and then realize i was out of my go to cider yeast( Lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne White Wine Yeast). The only yeast i have on hand is s-04. My question is if i use the s-04 will it go dry. My only concern is that ive read a few places that it with stop short in cider sometimes leaving some sugar behind. If it does will i still be able to bottle carb?, or would the yeast be done and not carb the added sugar or would fermentation possibly kick back up and potentially eat all the remaining sugar and cause over carbonation/bottle bombs. Ive made many batches of cider before but always used a wine yeast and always got to 1.000 or lower. Any insight would be appreciated.

I've made cider with S-04 and it was delish. I had an OG of 1.050 and it completely dried out just fine. I primed with priming sugar and it carbed well. I stayed on the low end of carbonation just to be safe with regards to bombs but it was great nonetheless. I'll see if I can find my notes and post a link.

S-04 is my go to yeast for cider. I tried a nottingham... need to do that one again in a side-by-side comparison.

you know what i've never used in my cider? Cider yeast. go figure.

I usually use champagne or white wine yeast, but I'm making some turbo cider with yeast from a coopers ale kit I made to see how it goes. It's one of the mixed lager/ale yeasts they use with some kits

never made a cider with beer yeast, i've never really thought they would go, at least the bready or phenolic types.

Did S-04 with a moderate-OG (1.07) cider, and it is more than fizzy enough in the bottle :) Think it was a bit more...herbal? Looking to try more of this when we have "real" apple juice instead of bottled stuff.
Like Notty better for straight cider, but for bottle carb it is just great too.
Both only attenuated down to (on my hydrometer) 1.004 or so, and so we don't usually sweeten with FAJC when we drink those. The ones with wine or esp champagne yeast we usually put a spoonful or two of FAJC in when serving to take the edge off.

Only cider yeast I've used is Cider House Select and it seems to work like the wine/champagne yeast but slower, and doesn't seem to need a lot of nutrients to keep chugging away. Want to try some of those "English" cider yeasts, especially when we actually get some real fresh cider.

I use 1056 is all my cider and it dries it out near 1.000 every time and as long as you pay attention to your temps I can't taste anything off. On a side note it does blow off worse then any beer I have ever brewed

Latest posts

Back