Built-in Keezer Thermostat Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppeg34

Reaction score
My freezer (soon to be keezer) has a built in thermostat already in it.

Could I just disconnect the red and black wires from the freezer's thermostat and attach them to a digital thermostat without having to do anything else? I could then put the new thermostat's thermistor where the old one was.

thermostat.jpg

That should work. What type of temp controller are you going to use?

I'm not too sure about the temp probe placement though, unless it is a thermistor, rather than a probe.

BTW, did a cat piss on your OE thermostat, lol.

Haha! I wouldn't be surprised if one did. I got this freezer off craigslist and still haven't had a chance to clean it up.

I was going to use this cheap ritetemp thermostat: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I6EQN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Its a little hard to explain, but the old thermistor extended about a foot into the freezer and is pushed up against the inside wall within the insulation from what I can tell. it is situated close to the bottom of the freezer. Here are some pictures for reference to where it is:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your plan for a temperature sensor, r u going to place the thermostat inside the freezer? I think most thermostats are low voltage also.

I think a simpler way would be to use the aqaurium temperature controller from ebay, and either build a box to plug your keezer into, or disconnect the OE thermostat, and build the temp controller into your keezer.

You can find the ebay aquarium temp controller build by doing a search for it, it is simple and inexpensive.

Personally, I like the Dwyer Instruments Love TS Series temp controllers, though they are more expensive, $50-$60, but they are made for industrial refrigeration and heating applications.

I have one on my DIY fermentation chamber,

IMG_2587.jpg
and on Mmy DIY Kegerator:

IMG_14923.JPG

^^ i didn't see any blue display controllers on dwyers site (other than the tsx3). is that a custom order?

Back