What can i do with these hops to this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
So I made a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Centennial. Loved it. So now I want to use the Maris Otter again but try to clean up some hops and grains I have.

I am planning on using:
12lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 20
1lb Crystal 40

I like hoppy beers so the more the better for hops. Here is my hop leftover:

3oz Centennial
1.8oz Columbus
1oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
2 oz EK Goldings

Thoughts? I also have some Crystal 80 if anyone thinks I should be adding that in there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bitter with the EKG and use the(i love it sooooooi much) Amarillo at 20 or15

Galactik said:
So I made a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Centennial. Loved it. So now I want to use the Maris Otter again but try to clean up some hops and grains I have.

I am planning on using:
12lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 20
1lb Crystal 40

I like hoppy beers so the more the better for hops. Here is my hop leftover:

3oz Centennial
1.8oz Columbus
1oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
2 oz EK Goldings

Thoughts? I also have some Crystal 80 if anyone thinks I should be adding that in there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If it were me, indefinitely wouldn't use 2 while pounds of Crystal malt, especially for a hoppy ale; maybe split them down the middle, or just use all the C20. I'd use the Columbus for bittering to about 30 IBU, an ounce of EKG at 25, then staggered additions of Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo from 15 to flameout. Cheers!!

Looks like the makings of a tasty IPA! The MO will have some malty /sweet potential inherent in it. Personally, I would plug something like this into beer smith or hopville until I had an og of around 1.064, 32-35 ibu's from bittering hop and 30 ibu's in the last 10 minutes of the boil:

12 lbs MO
12 oz crystal 40
4 oz crystal 80

.8 oz Columbus at 60
1.5 oz centennial at 10
1 oz simcoe at 5
1 oz Amarillo at 0

Wyeast 1272 or if you are adventurous, 1187 ringwood at low temps.

Dry hop with 1oz Columbus and 1.5 oz centennial for 10 days

I did something similar to this and was very happy with the results...best IPA for me to date.

Let us know which recipe you use and how it turns out!

Thanx for all the advice. Looks like I may be using too much Crystal, unfortunately i already had it mixed, so I am unable to go separate and pick out all the Crystal. Hopefully it is ok.

I am still playing around with the hop additions, but loving the advice.

Galactik said:
Thanx for all the advice. Looks like I may be using too much Crystal, unfortunately i already had it mixed, so I am unable to go separate and pick out all the Crystal. Hopefully it is ok.

I am still playing around with the hop additions, but loving the advice.

Mash low-- 148F. And bitter well.

Latest posts

Back