Am I to aggressive with my racking cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Don't know why this keeps happening but the small clip n the bottom of my racking cane keeps coming out.

Its a real pain putting it back. Don't know if I have a bad one or if I'm just over doing it.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. The clip is it the one that holds the cane in place on a bucket? Also keeps it off the bottom. Or are you talking about the cap on the bottom. (See picture below.)

racking_canes.jpg

I use neither. I have both and they are a PIA. I use one of these auto-siphons

auto-siphon.jpg

The racking cane has a very small flat piece inside the racking tube. Its above the cap that comes off the bottom. Its at the bottom inside. It has 2 legs that clip in. It is the part that goes up and don't to create the air lock I figure.

Yes I have and talking about an autosiphon(edit)

For some reason mine keeps coming out. So I then need a thin long dowel rod to snap it back inside.

I'm at work on my cell so I can't provide any photos now sorry.

Which one is it?
  1. The bottom cap (keeps cane off the bottom of the vessel)
  2. The check-valve housing. (cap attaches to it and its fitted inside the big tube)
  3. The check-valve. (inner piece that floats up and down)
I'm guessing you are talking about number 3. I'd go buy a new one and keep this as a back-up or throw it away. My guess is that inner piece is defective. How long have you used it? Maybe you can return it if its rather new.

Yeah i think its 3. Ill buy a new one tomorrow at the LBS.

Didnt want to find out after I was overdoing it.

Thanks

The title of this thread is awesome! :rockin:

I doubt you are being too aggressive. That would be kind of difficult. On the other hand, if someone else has been getting their hands on it. They can be a little rough with it. Sometimes they don't know their own strength! :D

I see a bumper sticker;

"Home Brewers Do-It With Their Racking Cane!"

Its also good to put this one of these your hose so it doesn't leak right away. :D

adamevetripleerectionsystem-ia-h-ib-h560_1102552-350x350.jphe

I know what they are. Ohhh yes. So yes, if I know what they are, and I'm wrong in the head, then yes it is wrong to know what those are.

Nope! - These are really good clamps. You can be more aggressive with your racking cane. The hose or cane won't pop off as easily as you pump the auto-syphon. Its good for racking really fast too.

Wow this thread spun outta control.hha. Ill look for the first clamp at my local shop before I head to my brewshop..

I would totally buy one of those bumper stickers.

Had to dig this up, i broke another auto siphon. that same stupid clip on the bottom came out.

I don't get it, how can i be the only person with this problem? The only thing i can think of is it seems to happen while i'm loading it up with soap. *try's to say this without laughing...* I do short fast strokes.

I think i'm just putting to much preasure on the little clip and it pops out. i can get it back in with alittle work but it never stays at that point. It's just garbage. I've went through 2 in 1 year now.

Back