Frozen Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I kegged my beer last week at my fathers place and threw it in the fridge there.

When I cam back the next week my kegs was half frozen and I lossed alot of c02. I still have some left but I had alot more before. I guess when the keg froze the co2 started leaking abit.

Anyways it's thawing right now. I was wondering is this brew going to be crap now. If I let it thaw out will the beer be ok?

And will the C02 that was in the keg before it froze be lost or will it have some carbonation when it thaws or just be flat|?

The beer will be fine, just let it thaw. Several people here (myself included) have made kegsicles.

As long as the freezing beer didn't crack the corny anywhere (unlikely) and as long as you didn't have a CO2 leak before, whatever CO2 you had in the keg will still be in the keg.

If you're judging the amount of CO2 you have left in your tank by the high-pressure gauge, it probably just dropped b/c you had the tank in the (very cold) refrigerator.

Thanks alot guys the C02 on the regulator is going up very happy about that.

should be good for my dads 60th birthday tommorow

Back