Priming with Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
I have a batch fermenting in a Mr Beer fermenter while I am awaiting the new brew kit. The directions read to prime the bottles with table sugar when bottling, though I have read this should be avoided at all costs.

Is there a conversion I can use from table sugar to DME or corn sugar? I think there are 2 gallons in the Mr Beer fermenter.

Thanks,

Bob

Well, for a 5 gallon batch, you use 3/4 cup to 1 cup of corn sugar to carbonate. 3/4 cup is lightly carbonated, while 1 cup is IMO overcarbonated. However comma...It depends on the type of beer you're making as to what is overcarbonated. I'm much too tired right now to figure out the measurment for 2 gallons, but at least this is a place to start.:eek:

f65.gif

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Figure 65- Nomograph for determining more precise amounts of priming sugar. To use the nomograph, draw a line from the temperature of your beer through the Volumes of CO2 that you want, to the scale for sugar. The intersection of your line and the sugar scale gives the weight of either corn or cane sugar in ounces to be added to five gallons of beer to achieve the desired carbonation level. [/FONT]

timdsmith72 said:
Well, for a 5 gallon batch, you use 3/4 cup to 1 cup of corn sugar to carbonate. 3/4 cup is lightly carbonated, while 1 cup is IMO overcarbonated. However comma...It depends on the type of beer you're making as to what is overcarbonated. I'm much too tired right now to figure out the measurment for 2 gallons, but at least this is a place to start.:eek:

corn sugar: 0.75 cups/5 gallons = ???/2 gallons => 0.3 cups/2 gallons
DME:1.25 cups/5 gallons = ???/2 gallons => 0.5 cups/2 gallons

I used table sugar straight into bottles for my first batch (I have a Mr. Beer system), and it came out fine! The first bottle was a little sweet, but letting the other bottles sit for another week conditioned them fine, I've never tasted a better beer. I'm bottling my second batch this weekend, so we'll see how this one goes, but so far, Mr. Beer directions (and ingredients) have been great for me.

I've had good luck with 6 tablespoons of corn sugar or 10 tablespoons of DME mixed with a half cup of water when batch priming. With the corn sugar its pretty much an equal measure with cane sugar, with DME you need to use more. Hope this helps.

Back