Suggest a style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I tried using beersmith, and noticed it doesn't have a feature to suggest a style, based on the raw numbers and ingredients etc. Does anyone know of any software which will do that?

I know I can manually pick a style, obviously, but it would be cool to add and subtract ingredients to see how it changes the style.

I tried using beersmith, and noticed it doesn't have a feature to suggest a style, based on the raw numbers and ingredients etc. Does anyone know of any software which will do that?

I know I can manually pick a style, obviously, but it would be cool to add and subtract ingredients to see how it changes the style.

Funny you should mention that. Two weeks ago, as I was brewing a batch that I randomly put together from what I had left I thought it'd be a cool feature to have. So I worked this week on adding it to brewers-assistant. It will be released this coming Sunday so if you're already signed up you'll get an email, otherwise I will also post about the update on brewers-assistant thread. But here's a sneak peek for you from my dev machine:

Basically there will be a "?" button next to style. Clicking on it will allow to rotate two closest styles. Here's a case where I set hop hammer to a wrong style:
estimate_hophammer_1.png

After clicking the button once - it guesses Imperial IPA , which is what it is:

estimate_hophammer_2.png

And the second time it guesses American Barleywine - not too far off:

estimate_hophammer_3.png

It worked equally well with my tests with Gumball head - guessed American Pale Ale first, then California Common Ale as second I think.

For Leffe (Belgian Blonde) it thought it was Belgian Dubbel, but I guess it's close enough.

Note that estimations are based on the recipe stats (OG, FG, IBU , Color, ABV). In the future I'll allow cycling for maybe up to 5 top styles, but this first update will allow only 2.

Latest posts

Back