First wheat beer (all grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamo123

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm writing a recipe for a wheat beer I'm going to try doing in a few weeks. Here it is what do you think? One thing, I've never used carapils before, I heard its supposed to be used only for about a half hour in the mash, is a pound too much or too little or just right?

4 gallons of

2 lb 2row
1 lb carapils
4 lb white wheat
2 lb munich malt

1 oz Amarillo @ 10min
1 oz Cascade @ 10min
0.5 oz Chinook @ 30 min

American Hefeweizen ale yeast

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions :)

Why are you adding cara-pils to a wheat? Usually, I'm not trying to build the body up on wheats. Other than that, it looks alright. I might switch one of the lbs of munich for another lb. 2-row though, but that is my personal taste. Actually, I would just go half and half 2-row and wheat. Or, to "americanize" it, you could use even less wheat. ;)

Good question about the carapils...wheats are typically light-bodied brews.

I might add some rice hulls to the mash to insure no problems with drain off (not that that counts in the grain bill for anything) and perhaps switch out the Munich for Vienna to get a lighter color, but that's just me.

Me, I would have about 60% wheat, use noble hops like Hallertau, and use a Bavarian Wheat yeast.

But, that's just me.

;)

I add dextrin (carapils) to my Oberon Wheat Clone. It's my favorite wheat beer. It has 0.75 dextrin and 0.75 munich. So dextrin IMO is OK, I would just lower the total amount of munich and dextrin to about 1-1.5 lbs.

About hops: I think you have too many hops in this recipe. Too many kinds and too many ounces. Also, I don't think that "harsh" hops like Chinook and Amarillo fit into the style. The thing is, in American Wheat you can taste all the hops 3X more then in other styles, so I would stick only with clean, lower AA hops in smaller amounts, like maybe 1 oz. Cascade 60 min plus 0.5 oz. Cascade 10 min.

Edit: Grain bill: American Wheat style usually uses about 50% 2-row, 40% wheat malt, 10% specialty malts (munich and carapils in this case). If you going to keep so much wheat i would definitely recommend using some rice halls to avoid a stuck sparge.

Latest posts

Back