Hard Cider / Splenda Brown Sugar Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madprofessor

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Splenda Brown Sugar in Cider? I know it’s a blend so there are some fermentable sugars. My plan is to bottle carb my cider so I thought I would put the splenda brown sugar blend into primary so that the real sugar could ferment off. That way when I bottle primed, I could avoid bottle rockets and have a slightly back sweetened brown sugar flavor.

Everything I see talks about adding splenda at bottling but I have not seen anyone who used the Brown Sugar blend so I am concerned about bottle damage because of the real sugar in the Splenda product.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I would test this first, to see how fermentable it is. Take a sample of your cider (with yeast still in it), and mix in a small amount of the splenda brown sugar stuff. Take a gravity reading and give it a week or two. Double check the gravity to find how much, if anything, has fermented out from the original addition.

I would assume it is non-fermentable all the way, but it would be a shame to end up with over-sweetened cider or on the other side of the coin- bottle bombs.

Back